Resizing

swarovski

Was resizing up til 30 mins ago and I couldn't of sat the case back in the shell holder properly and broke the decaping pin,bloody brand new rcbs 308 fl die,only done 250 cases :doh:.ive done thousands of cases over the years with rcbs dies and never had this happen before.

Last edited:
I broke decaping pin on my Forster neck die last year,pin is half as thick as rcbs,it was me and lack of concentration,case wasn't right in she'll holder and brought ram down on the rim of the case I guess.ive had 22-250,243,25-06 and 30-06 rcbs fl dies and no probs,loaded 1000's over the years.no hardship,I spet new pin is 75 pence

Just happens occasionally. Maybe not quite lined up right with flash hole & oops, pin bust! Easy to get hold of spare usually & not expensive. You can probably use a pin from another de-cap/size die meantime?
Cheers, D

Please can you not post absolutely all your threads in Articles and Writeups. This clearly belongs in Ammunition/Reloading where I am moving it now.

Was resizing up til 30 mins ago and I couldn't of sat the case back in the shell holder properly and broke the decaping pin,bloody brand new rcbs 308 fl die,only done 250 cases :doh:.ive done thousands of cases over the years with rcbs dies and never had this happen before.

I go decades without snapping a pin, then I buy a set of RCBS Small Based 30-06 dies. Snapped the pin on the first go-round. The dealer gave me a pouch of pins. Snapped a second pin 20 cases later. Dug through my chest of relics, pulled out a bag of 40 year old decapping pins, and have had no problem since. I think they have some bad suppliers at RCBS.~Muir

Yep cheap costing cutting strikes again................................. When I mislaid my case deburring tool I went to buy a new one and the RCBS ones are now crap. really cheaply and poorly made. I refused to buy that bit of garbige. Lucky I found where mine had rolled too. It's an old one made for RCBS by Wilson. They even tried covering up the poor quality on the new one buy masking it with horrid black paint.

Methinks they are outsourcing to China.

The pin in the Lee universal decapping die i bought lasted all of 3 cases! First and last Lee equipment in my collection! You can't beat Forster or Redding IMHO.

On odd occasions in the past when I have broken a resizing pin and not had a spare I have improvised by cutting down a panel pin or small nail and using that.

The pin in the Lee universal decapping die i bought lasted all of 3 cases! First and last Lee equipment in my collection! You can't beat Forster or Redding IMHO.

:rolleyes: Some people can probably break a hammer too.

I used to shoot with a chap who was a qualified mechanic and the things I saw of his reloading gear that was messed up through being ham fisted was incredible.

I have RCBS, Lee, Lyman Redding and CH reloading dies and stuff. In dies so far only had a pin break in a RCBS set. perhaps I am more careful?

Hmm I know its not fashionable but when I attempted to decap/size a Berdan primed milsurp that had sneaked into my .308 brass, all it did was push the pin through the split nut, oh hang on it was with that dodgy Lee gear :stir: :p:p

Really! What were you decapping? I've had a pair of these that have done everything for years and years. You are free to do what you want but making a decision about an entire product line because a small pin broke under (what must have been) a considerable amount of force seems a little premature to me. JMHO, of course.~Muir

I found the problem,could of been partly my fault,I didn't check the cases before I resized them,I bought 300 once fired lapua cases from uk gun room,never expected there to be 4 rg cases in amongst them,they are Berdan primed cases,flash hole isnt in the centre of the case.......... Both off set :banghead:

Last edited:
Them blasted BERDAN cases get in everywhere or were they the Irish version Brendans? :lol:

Typo I think mate.

Last edited:
Na it's the iPad it's works like predictive texting,it does this a lot,find myself editing a lot of my threads and posts,it didn't recognise berdan

Back