Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Controversial training idea...

Controversial training idea...

Morning all,

I am a big believer in the traditional continental philosophy of training Schweißhunde and I currently train my BMH the German way (with Färtenschuh, without blood) as this is where I am living. However, I wanted to get peoples thoughts on training deer dogs, but more specifically the tracking element, using a 'clicker'.

The reason I have brought this up is because I was reading Schutzhund training theory out of interest and they heavily rely on the clicker for most of their disciplines, including article showing.

Out of curiosity I wondered whether the clicker could be transfered to tracking and Verweisen (blood/hair/bone/flesh showing)?Tom
    Last edited by bartzkingx; 26-06-2012 at 09:24. Reason: Grammar!

I am also based in Germany and my pal is the BodoBande tracking equipment store owner and I have done a lot of shows with him and I have never heard of this clicker before.
    Discuss.
    Martin

"Clicker training" is an animal training method based on behavioral psychology that relies on marking desirable behavior and rewarding it.Desirable behavior is usually marked by using a "clicker," a mechanical device that makes a short, distinct "click" sound which tells the animal exactly when they're doing the right thing. This clear form of communication, combined with positive reinforcement, is an effective, safe, and humane way to teach any animal any behavior that it is physically and mentally capable of doing.

The above excerpt is taken from clickertraining.com. Basically what I can tell from this website and Schutzhunde training sites is that as soon as the dog does the desired behaviour you click and then give a treat. This is why I thought it was interesting as I wondered whether this could be transfered to tracking, i.e. when the dog is on the trail you "click", when it finds an article and "shows you", you "click". Any thoughts?Being in Germany as well you will know that this most definately isn't a technique used or even considered but it would be interesting to see if anyone thinks it could work. Do you have a BGS or HS, or a Drahthaar etc?

f I am training a young dog or puppy, the animal is told verbally how good she is being. 'Good dog' said in an enthusiastic tone over and over whilst going over the top with rubbing and playing with her usually gets the message through pretty quickly. once that has been installed a gentle verbal reassurance is generally all Thatbis required to keep them on track. I can see what you are saying but don't know how the clicking method would be any better....

Tone tone and tone.
    Coupled with the fact schweisshund are born to track=no need for clicker.
    Saying that the clicker may get attention when teaching verweisen,hmmm interesting!

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    f I am training a young dog or puppy, the animal is told verbally how good she is being. 'Good dog' said in an enthusiastic tone over and over whilst going over the top with rubbing and playing with her usually gets the message through pretty quickly. once that has been installed a gentle verbal reassurance is generally all Thatbis required to keep them on track. I can see what you are saying but don't know how the clicking method would be any better....
    +1 I am sick to death of 'gadgets' and god knows what, whatever happened to a decent rifle, a knife, and your dog by your side...all other (apart from clothes) junk left at Bushwear.

There are a lot of companys making a lot of money selling things that they insist you need to own belive my you dont, how did anyone manage to train a dog before someone invented the clicker I'm with PKL on this one.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Is the clicker method a new one or has it been traditionally used for some time now? I have never heard of it either...

Hi My pal has a HS which is getting a bit old now.
    I am waiting till I retire next year to get one as I am on the road working each week & the missus will not look after a dog while I am away, plus it iwould not be fair on the dog as I can only stalk my patch every Fri & Sat, it would be wasted.
    Weidmansheill
    Martin

Hello bartzkingx. For schutzhund training and dog agility the clicker does produce good results . Yet as said by jamross soft enthusiastic encouragement is the correct way in a tracking environment. When the animal you are is searching for is found dead noise won't matter but in the case of a lightly wounded or still very conscious animal that is most likely still pumped up with adrenalin any metallic noises are not advisable . They will only serve to move the animal on unnecessarily .Thus causing more suffering and more work . REGARDS WIDU.

TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND, AND NEVER TO YIELD.