Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with twist rates

Help needed with twist rates

I'm planning a new toy, a new rifle for vermin. I think I have narrowed it down to either a .204 ruger or a .223 rem. I have a tikka t3 at present and can not fault it so was looking on there website and there is two twist rates for the .223, 1:8 and 1:12. My question being in the real world what effect would the different rate have on accuracy?? Also what would people recommend a .204 or .223 given that I am only going to be starting home loading this year?!

Cheers in advance guys

Dw

Personally I would go for a .223 or .222 with the faster twist barrel.
    It will stabilise the heavier bullet if and when needed.

HWH.

Evening Redlab,i have a tikka 223 with 1in8 twist,the rifle is a superb tool for foxing,it's light and deadly accurate.As for the 1in8,i bought it with the intention of shooting longer distances but have not bothered with anything past 250 meters.The 1in8 will not make it more accurate it will just allow you to shoot heavier bullets at distance.The 1in12 will be just right for shooting 40gr to 55gr bullets for foxing out to 300 meters which is more than far enough.
    I also have a rem 700vls 204 which has a 1in12 twist i thinkThis allows me to shoot 39sbk accurately and anything below.Again the 204 is super accurate and flatter flying,just point and shoot.The only draw back i find with the 204 is you need a long barrel if you want to get the best out of the cartridge (26") and i dont find this as comfortable to carry as the tikka.I suppose a compramise would be ok and go for a 204 with a 22" barrel,not to cumbersome but still faster and flatter than the 223

Hope this helps
    Dave
    p.s just buy both like i did

The 1 in 12 twist on the tikka is normally spot on for the 40 grainers up to about 55 grains.
    The heavier bullets like 55 g up over( like maybe 69 grainers ) often need the 1 in 8 twist so if you do opt for .223 you have to decide if its lighter or heavier bullets you prefer to shoot through it. Obviously the lighter bullets are faster and flatter, but more prone to the wind so at longer ranges a bullet travelling a bit slower with more weight behind it may give you an advantage.

There is a very old saying, "It's better to be looking at it than for it."

A 1..8 will happily shoot anything from 50grn to 75 grn, a 1..12 will struggle with the heavier bullets.
    Give yourself the choice at a later date and go 1..8.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    There is a very old saying, "It's better to be looking at it than for it."

A 1..8 will happily shoot anything from 50grn to 75 grn, a 1..12 will struggle with the heavier bullets.
    Give yourself the choice at a later date and go 1..8.
    +1 with Cooter

hi 223rem with 50 grain. I think my twist is 1in9 .fox out to 300 yard. go for 223 1in8

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    Evening Redlab,i have a tikka 223 with 1in8 twist,the rifle is a superb tool for foxing,it's light and deadly accurate.As for the 1in8,i bought it with the intention of shooting longer distances but have not bothered with anything past 250 meters.The 1in8 will not make it more accurate it will just allow you to shoot heavier bullets at distance.The 1in12 will be just right for shooting 40gr to 55gr bullets for foxing out to 300 meters which is more than far enough.
    I also have a rem 700vls 204 which has a 1in12 twist i thinkThis allows me to shoot 39sbk accurately and anything below.Again the 204 is super accurate and flatter flying,just point and shoot.The only draw back i find with the 204 is you need a long barrel if you want to get the best out of the cartridge (26") and i dont find this as comfortable to carry as the tikka.I suppose a compramise would be ok and go for a 204 with a 22" barrel,not to cumbersome but still faster and flatter than the 223

Hope this helps
    Dave
    p.s just buy both like i did
    Cheers guys..... variation for both got put in for today lets see how long this takes and how many questions I get!!!

223Rem - 'cos ammo available anywhere and it's easy to reload, plus with a fast twist barrel I have a wide choice of bullets. I have a CZ527 in 223 with 1:9 barrel. I had Norman Clark in Rugby shorten, muzzle thread and bed it. Shoots unbelievably well. I can use 50gr SP for fox & Muntjac, then use Berger 73gr match bullets at 600 yds Bisley.

A 223 geek at my rifle-club is claims he can stabalise an 80 grain Berger VLD from his 1:9 223R. I've not tried it, the 73gr has enough wind-bucking ability for club-level target shooting.

Well that's eight weeks and three phone calls and I'm still waiting ...........