Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: massive error

Established Poster

massive error

Dont know weather im posting in the right place or not but anyway here goes, i was out with my 17 HMR a few months back and i had a miss fire or should say a click so i ejected and the case was empty and on checking the barrel the bullet had been pushed in but not far enough to reload so i rodded it out and give it a clean and carried on doing rabbit, and havent had that problem again since....until last sunday we were taking rabbit on a field that we use alot were there are plenty of bunnies comming out regular, i had shot around 5 or 6 when the next shot sounded like a .223 round and sparks blew out the back and sides of the rifle peppering my face with powder slightly burning but not marking gladly, at first my first thought was im blind i really did crap it as did my son who was with me, my first thought was i had fired one of the rounds i have been finding with splits on the neck i usually find around 8 in every 100 in remmington, dont usually find any splits in hornady but have been told they are all made at the same place??? any way after checking first my face then my gun everything was in order and no dammage thank god, so i took out the mag and all the rounds had the bullet inside the shell as if they had been knocked in but when i shook them they were loose? this was very confusing and the only thing i could think of was one of the bullets had been stuck further down the barrel and when i reloaded and fired this caused an explosion, but i didnt hear a click before hand....had i missed it in the confusion, i cant think of anything else, was it a split round, did it just miss fire, i dont know. Any ideas guys

Another HMR horror story! Certainly makes me glad I never bothered to get that variation for a .17HMR......

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    Another HMR horror story! Certainly makes me glad I never bothered to get that variation for a .17HMR......
    Its not the rifle mate its the round or the maker that needs to brush up....great rifle nice little round when it dont miss fire ha ha

If I was you I would be going after them big time.

They have had enough warning about this problem and they have not fixed it. It is only a matter of time before someone does lose an eye or even worse.

If the previous round fired, this sounds more like a double charged cartridge. The other bullets being pushed in was probably the result of excessive recoil from the exploded case. Just a guess...

Better go out and buy a lottery ticket, as it seems your luck is running in your favor. Might want to have the head space checked on that rifle. Some of the less expensive rifles only have a single lug, and it could have been stressed by a double charged cartridge leading to excessive headspace...

Just a thought...

Also, contact your seller of the ammunition and report to them the lot # on the box so that they can potentially save someone else form having the same experience as yourself.

17s not good on windy days , blow rabbits to bit or blow ya face off , trade it in for a 22 . If i was starting again i would get a 22wmr and moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    If the previous round fired, this sounds more like a double charged cartridge. The other bullets being pushed in was probably the result of excessive recoil from the exploded case. Just a guess...

Better go out and buy a lottery ticket, as it seems your luck is running in your favor. Might want to have the head space checked on that rifle. Some of the less expensive rifles only have a single lug, and it could have been stressed by a double charged cartridge leading to excessive headspace...

Just a thought...

Also, contact your seller of the ammunition and report to them the lot # on the box so that they can potentially save someone else form having the same experience as yourself.
    Or pushed in by the rush of gasses into the magazine well as the bolts on most rimfires will direct the gasses in that direction. Odd that ALL the cases had the bullets pushed in: and none detonated. Unless the gasses traveled under the bolt and found themselves (itself) directed to the rear of the magazine, forcing the cartridges forward from the back side. Think if the way a CZ bolt is cut on the underside and you can see it might happen. Strange tho. Yes: Buy a lottery ticket! ~Muir

(Win and then get a 22WMR. The 17HMR isn't all that....)

Muir , Ive alway said the 22WMR is a better round than the 17HMR , would you agree ?

Did the last bullet you fired hit a rabbit or was it a miss if it hit the rabbit then it would more than likely be a charge issue
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    Muir , Ive alway said the 22WMR is a better round than the 17HMR , would you agree ?
    It's no secret on this site that I do indeed think the 22WMR is better. With some of the new 30 grain loads at 2300 fps it's hard to beat. I have a few 17HMR's and never use them for favoring the hot 30 grain 22WMR loads; or even the lowly CCI TMJ 40 grain at 1960 fps. Sighted in at 100 it hits 5" low at 150 but arrives with a huge amount of authority. Lately I've been shooting my new 5mm and it's in a class by itself.

In pure killing ability I rate the magnums like this: 5mm Remington Magnum, 22 Winchester Magnum, 17 Hornady Magnum.~Muir