Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise, do we adhere to this?

1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise, do we adhere to this?

Hi All,
    Do we abide by this law?
    The optics we use have improved vastly over the years to such an extent that it could be possible we could fall foul of this law.
    Does anyone give it a second thought to look at their watch before the trigger is squeezed?
    Its very unlikely anything could ever be proved, but the law is the law.
    Most optics companies now advertise the low light transmission and light gathering capabilities of their optics, and most of us own them don't we?
    Just a thought.
    Cheers
    Richard

As law abiding, responsible stalkers, of course we do.

Actually, at the moment, the sun rises so sharply, and goes down so quickly, that I doubt even with the best optics in the world you'd be able to properly identify a beast, and take a shot, outside those times.

If I'm starting early I'll always look at the official sunrise time. Like you say, the chance of getting caught is small, but if we only obey the law if we think we might get caught, we have bigger problems than shooting a deer outside the permitted hours!

Yes modern optics have better light gathering capabilities BUT thats not alot of help if you injure one right on last light is it

Alot of my shooting is next to Trunk roads and i need to phone in start time i don't think the police would take to kindly to me saying i am starting at 3 when sunrise is 430. But like said one hour before sunrise is so bloody dark it would not be a safe shot any way.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    As law abiding, responsible stalkers, of course we do.

Actually, at the moment, the sun rises so sharply, and goes down so quickly, that I doubt even with the best optics in the world you'd be able to properly identify a beast, and take a shot, outside those times.

If I'm starting early I'll always look at the official sunrise time. Like you say, the chance of getting caught is small, but if we only obey the law if we think we might get caught, we have bigger problems than shooting a deer outside the permitted hours!
    100% in agreement

Yes... stick to it to be honest it's almost pitch black an hour before and after, especially when in a forestry block!

Yes always - I have an iPhone app that gives sunrise/sunset times so dead easy to check

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    100% in agreement
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Alot of my shooting is next to Trunk roads and i need to phone in start time i don't think the police would take to kindly to me saying i am starting at 3 when sunrise is 430. But like said one hour before sunrise is so bloody dark it would not be a safe shot any way.
    Dont forget its only the shot thats limited by time,not the start/stalk......

I tend to check the times the night before as I wouldnt want to get out one minute earlier than I have too!!!!