While we are talking about fallow.

mole trapper

Sorry chaps, bit of self indulgence here in my last post i mentioned that I had accidently picked up some ground ( case of being in the right place at the right time, for once) Went there today for the first proper look, Just as it was getting light bumped into a group of about 10 does and young, something spooked them, for a change it wasnt me!. Ho hum moved on again, Found a very good buck with about 15 does and young, took one doe and the rest scarpered but being on the edge of a large hill I had a feeling if I legged it back the way i came they would run right into me, unfortunatly for another doe they did just that. Did not want to make a pig of myself so left it at that.
Beowulf heres another piccy of this local phenomenen, stumpy legged fallow. 8)
Image009-1.jpg

Very nice Moletrapper, very nice indeed!
Although I think the reason that they have short legs is that you are chasing them all over the West Country! :D Whats it like down there at the moment? Had any frosts yet? Whatever the weather you are in Gods country! You lucky sod.

I'm glad that the new land permission is paying off. I'm taking a friend to look at some of the Muntjac on my patch sunday. The last buck was 30lb gralloched, where he stalks a good Roe buck weighs that! I've got some big Muntjac I'm very proud of them. With some good deer management I will have some really bucks coming through.

Beowulf that morning there was a very good frost, the second one we have had this autumn, the other one was the second week in september.
Word has it we might start seeing munty down this way one of these days, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I hope you get some Muntjac down there Mole Trapper. Cornish/Devon hedges aren't that different from Midlands hedges and the field sizes are similar. The M5 and A38 are perfect corridors from which to spread. I've been told that Salisbury Plan has Muntjac. So anything is possible.
I find that once people are atuned to looking for small deer they see then everywhere! I'm not kidding, when I started looking for them all I would hear were their barks and see the movement of foliage. After a while I became accustomed to looking for these piggy little buggers and now they are no longer the invisible mythical creatures I thought they were. They remain however, very much an enigmatic animal and one I have a very high regard for.

There has been, still is, Muntjac on Salisbury Plain since back in the late seventies, that I personally know of, but as with all Deer they have multiplied and are here now in quite large numbers.
Certain parts of the Plain have more than others due to the terrain/forestry and usage.

Beowulf said:
I hope you get some Muntjac down there Mole Trapper. Cornish/Devon hedges aren't that different from Midlands hedges and the field sizes are similar. The M5 and A38 are perfect corridors from which to spread. I've been told that Salisbury Plan has Muntjac. So anything is possible.
I find that once people are atuned to looking for small deer they see then everywhere! I'm not kidding, when I started looking for them all I would hear were their barks and see the movement of foliage. After a while I became accustomed to looking for these piggy little buggers and now they are no longer the invisible mythical creatures I thought they were. They remain however, very much an enigmatic animal and one I have a very high regard for.

I saw a muntjac from the train just outside Tiverton Parkway last year.

i would like to see them in north staffs,i know they are in south staffs derbyshire but none near me.i have been working around the midlands today (earlswood,packington,kingsbury) area and there is some cracking ground around there for the little tinkers,didnt see any though it never stopped raining.i noticed on the m6 toll there are signs up for deer crossing,what would the be there?

i hav seen a munty doe by moddershall cricket club by stone , but earlswood is full of them a few roe aswell, packington has fallow and munty but hav seen roe by meridan and hav only seen a munty carcass on the toll but hav shot plenty of fallow that way.

people have said over the years that they have seen them in the churnet valley area but i spent most of my time growing up there and not seen any.you would have thought by now if they were there they would have taken over .

i am only talking twelve months ago but i hav seen red and fallow there in good numbers for many years, there is still time yet. incidentally i did not shoot this doe as she was having a stand off with a dog fox who did buy it and if there was no fox she still would of went on her way unharmed spreading the good news

Quote (earlswood,packington,kingsbury).

Yes, Bloody loads of Muntjac! I used to beat on the Packington Estate and all you would see was Black Fallow and Muntjac. Earlswood and Kingsbury and up into Badderleys Ensor and the Merivale Estate is Muntjac heaven! All these areas were formerly coal mines and quarries. Some areas were made into 'nature parks' others just left to go wild. Ideal for little deer.
I do alot of driving around these areas and often stop to watch Munties and Fallow, still to see any Roe though, although as Stone says, they are there.

hi beowulf
there was a roe buck and doe in the piece opposite the entrance to the archery ground but hav since moved on now they hav extended the quarry into the woodland and a buck ran out in front of me just on the edge of balsall common early one morning while on the way to my stalking ground the further you head to wawrick the more i seen them not seen many fallow in this direction though

Thats interesting Stone,
There are a herd of Fallow around Shustoke-Furness End. If you ever go to the Countrystore near the Griffin Pub, you sometimes see them in the fields behind the shop.

been to the store a couple of times but not seen any as yet but will look even harder now, I normally use pete starley in wawrick because he is close to work but knibsy does hav a lot to offer , thanks beowulf i think you hav given me an idea for a new thread , sorry moletrapper i know we are meant to be talking about fallow but talking about all deer species interest me as i am sure it does yourself and many others

i will keep my eye out for them next time im working over there,hopefully will bump into a helpfull landowner.that would be nice.

the problem with this area the farmers like to see the deer and dont realy want them shot i hav tried most of them. yes i can shoot the pigeons and rabbits but not the deer, i fell lucky when the farmer was plagued with a large herd of fallow at the time i was asking but it has took 2 years for him to let me control the roe because he only sees them in groups of 2/3 in his eyes they are not a problem but best of luck

Back