Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30-06 stopping power

30-06 stopping power

I have had my 30-06 for a few months now and it seems to blow hot and cold regarding stopping power. I am using 150g hollowpoints, the accuracy now the gun has settled is pretty good.

What is confusing me is that it seems less consistent in knocking down roe than the .243 was. It either seems to poleaxe them, and do quite a bit of damage if the shoulders are involved, or pass straight through with minimal damage and letting the animals move quite a bit before they go down.

To confuse matters further I shot a good fallow buck at about 150m and the bullet didnt exit. When dug out it was the perfect mushroom shape.

Is it possible at closer ranges and with smaller deer it is too quick and not having time to expand? I dont really want to go to ballistic tips. Or perhaps I have just been unlucky having only shot 7 deer with it so far.

Just wondered what other peoples experience is.

Just physics,
    germans have complained about this for years now. Main reason is that they use the boar bullets for roe.
    For decades bullet manufacturers are following the quest of hunters to make tougher bullets that pass through every time. I think it is rubbish. A small deer needs a soft bullet driven quite fast, otherwise it won't deliver enough energy.
    If a cartridge has the ability to penetrate 20 " of flesh, but a deer is only 5" wide at the ribcage one will only get a fraction of that bullets energy.

I don't think the americans have roe, so they won't have a 30-06 load for them. I'm sure RWS made a softer bullet in the last years because of this problem.
    For our small sika does and calves I use 155gr a-max out of the 308 and get about 80% pass through. SST's are also quite soft.

edi

Very true!

I use Hornady Interbond on larger game - but for soft animals like Roe, my '06 runs on plain jane SPeer BTSP in 150gn.

Does a hell of a job.

Mind you, the ancient 7 x 57 at a slower velocity literally knocks them off their feet. Must be to do with the transfer of energy.

Rgds Ian

You may wish to watch this series of clips in which bullet expansion is clearly demonstrated.

One of the clips shows the differing rates of expansion of different types of bullet. If your confidence in your present choice of ammunition continues to be tested might I suggest you give those recommended by IanF and the favoured brand featured in the video a try?

Hope you find that magic round!

Cheers,

Iwrch

NB This post is NOT meant to be a comment on bullet composition, simply a useful indication of what goes on when a .30-06 round hits its target.

Hi

I have a sauer 202 that I can change the barrel over, I started using my 30.06 when I went to Africa on plans game.
    I left the barrel when I returned instead of putting the .308 back on and I'm very pleased with it, I'm shooting Roe, Fallow & munty with 150gr soft point Remmington factory ammo, and they don't move far after being hit,

I have found sereval bullets still in the carcase that have a perfect mushroom shape to them, they have delivered maximum inpact on the deer with not too much meat damage

Si

SD Regular
    Hmm! 30 calibre bullets can be used in 30-30 up to 30-338 via 308, 30-06, 300 Holland, 300 Weatherby. One size, yes, but does it fit all?

As others have said the problem is a bullet primarily designed for a 25" barrel 300 Winchester Magnum at 3,100 fps on "large" American deer will struggle on roe and muntjac from a 22" barrel 30-06 at 2,600 fps.

There is nothing wrong with your 30-06 that choice of a different bullet won't sort out. Maybe a Hornady Interlock as the solution is to use bullets specifically meant to work at 308 velocities.

The 6mm cartridges have ALWAYS been high velocity numbers at 2,900 or above. Ignoring Holland's 240, America's Winchester's 243, Remington's 6mm and Weatherby's 240 have all started a 100 grain bullet at a minimum of 2,900 fps. So the bullets have always functioned well in that window of 2,900 to 3,300 fps.

Some say that the old 270 Winchester was so successful is that, until recently, ALL 277 bullets were specifically designed for only that one cartridge at a narrow velocity range of 2,900 to 3,100 fps.

SD Regular
    Just one alarm bell....WHOSE 150 grain HOLLOW point bullets? I'm either half asleep or not well read in the new gun catalogues but I'm not aware of any 150 grain 30 calibre HOLLOW point made for shooting deer.

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    I would consider using a lighter weight bullet on Roe deer, some thing that will expand more and preferrably not exit. I say not exit because this means that the bullet has performed as it should and imparted all its energy into destroying the vital organs, and not going through the beast and spending itself into some form of safe backstop.
    I know many people will now say 'what about blood trail'?.....'what about meat damage'?.....To this i will reply...
    If the deer is hit in the right area and the bullet does as it should 'Destroy the vitals....it is highly likely that it will drop either on the spot..or run only a few yards, not much of a follow up needed.
    Meat damage should be of a secondary concern to ALL stalkers! the main thing is to ensure the swift and humane dispatch of a deer, and if this means sacrificing a shoulder then so be it!, if you look at deer as simply pound notes from the game dealer then you need to start questioning your ethics and maybe take up a new hobby!

For the record i use a .270 for everything, I homeload using 110grain bullets or i buy Hornady factory rounds with 110grain V-Max bullets. I find they work fine on all species of deer, enough energy and expansion to destroy the vitals and heaven forbid...when i'm within spitting distance and take a neck shot, there is enough expansion to to shatter the vertibrae and impart maximum trauma to the CNS through the spinal cord.

hollow

Sorry enfield. I wrote the first post early in the morning and it should have said soft point.

They are sako by the way, a bullet I hav always rated

cheers lads for the input

ps I have just got a box of hornady so lets see

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares
    Hmm! 30 calibre bullets can be used in 30-30 up to 30-338 via 308, 30-06, 300 Holland, 300 Weatherby. One size, yes, but does it fit all?

As others have said the problem is a bullet primarily designed for a 25" barrel 300 Winchester Magnum at 3,100 fps on "large" American deer will struggle on roe and muntjac from a 22" barrel 30-06 at 2,600 fps.

There is nothing wrong with your 30-06 that choice of a different bullet won't sort out. Maybe a Hornady Interlock as the solution is to use bullets specifically meant to work at 308 velocities.

The 6mm cartridges have ALWAYS been high velocity numbers at 2,900 or above. Ignoring Holland's 240, America's Winchester's 243, Remington's 6mm and Weatherby's 240 have all started a 100 grain bullet at a minimum of 2,900 fps. So the bullets have always functioned well in that window of 2,900 to 3,300 fps.

Some say that the old 270 Winchester was so successful is that, until recently, ALL 277 bullets were specifically designed for only that one cartridge at a narrow velocity range of 2,900 to 3,100 fps.
    Very true!

I cut a few 30 cal bullets. The hornady interlock 150SP is on the left. Out of my 308 loaded mildly they group 2" at 300m! A great bullet for accuracy, now I must just test them on game. I'm sure they'll work.

Left to right: 150gr SP Interlock Hornady, 150gr Nos BT, 155gr A-max, 165gr SST, 165gr Nos BT, 190gr SMK.
    edi