Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rural Property Work Experience (can you help?)

Rural Property Work Experience (can you help?)

Hi guys, I thought maybe on the off chance one of you guys would be able to help me, as you're all very helpful!

Im starting a Masters course in Rural Estate Management in October at the Royal Agricultural College in Cirencester. For this i really need to get about a months worth of practical Rural property experience. I have been solidly calling and emailing estate agents, however they seem to not take on work experience people, or are booked up from last year. So I thought I might try on here! If anyone can help i would really appreciate it!

I can be based around Godalming, (Surrey), Winchester (Hampshire), Bude (Cornwall), Plymouth (Devon), or even Northampton.

Thanks a lot,
    Eric

I can provide a CV and references.

Tried English Hertitage or National Trust (etc)?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I'd suggest you forget estate agents and concentrate instead on Chartered Surveyors and the like - John Clegg, Bidwells, Strutt & Parker, Galbraiths, etc.

Sorry not based on your area so I can't be very specific. You are likely to get more jobs in this line north of the border I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by kuwinda View Post
    I'd suggest you forget estate agents and concentrate instead on Chartered Surveyors and the like - John Clegg, Bidwells, Strutt & Parker, Galbraiths, etc.

Sorry not based on your area so I can't be very specific. You are likely to get more jobs in this line north of the border I would say.
    +1

Your college should be able to point you in the right direction re work experience, get onto the college and ask if they can point you in the right direction as they should have the right contacts in that field, plus it shows willing and ability on you behalf as well

Good luck with your course.

Cheers
    Pete

Give Hampshire county council a call, ask for the ccra dept,

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    Tried English Hertitage or National Trust (etc)?
    1 Do English Heritage offer work experience/internships?

Due to the high number of enquiries we receive each year for work experience and internships it is not always possible for us to fulfil all the requests we receive. If you would like to enquire about an opportunity please contact the Volunteering team at:
    Volunteer.Enquiries@english-heritage.org.uk
    or visit the
    Volunteer Opportunities
    section of the website to find out about other ways to get involved in the work of English Heritage.

2. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/get-...ge/item485414/

Good Luck
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I'd agree go chartered surveyors i got a week with both savills and smiths gore last summer by dropping in cvs and covering letters never heard anything back from a couple of others but worth a shot.

George

Eric,

Unfortunately I can't offer you any help as we are out of your area. Definitely give the estate agents a miss (unless they have a rural surveying dept as some do) you don't really want to join that bunch . In your area a few names spring to mind, Dreweatt Neate, Stags, Symonds & Sampson, Smiths Gore, and there are plenty of others.

First suggestion is to get a cpy of Farmers Weekly, look in the back at the land and property and see who is selling in your area. They will probably be busy and might be able to offer a few weeks experience.

Hopefully you will get something to help you into this little industry of which I am an old and grizzled member! It is a very good one to be in. Getting as much experience as you can will be really important when it comes to appling for jobs at the end of your course. That will make you stand out. Take it from me, I went through nearly 50 applications for grad., positions last year!

The only shame about the whole situation is that you are going to the Royal Ag College. Everyone knows Harper Adams is better.... I might be biased about that though!

Good luck.

I did the MSc in Rural Estate Management at Ciren about 7 years ago. I think 50% of my year are now doing something else. Me included.
    It's not the most taxing course so you should have plenty of time to go stalking!

I got all my work experience at Bidwells and Strutts and then ended up working for Strutts for 6 years or so. Most people got jobs with the firms they had done a week or so with pre course, so make sure you make a good impression.

I'd try any of the above mentioned firms.

Good luck, and avoid the hockey club during threshers week, they had a particularly brutal initiation!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingers243 View Post
    Eric,

The only shame about the whole situation is that you are going to the Royal Ag College. Everyone knows Harper Adams is better.... I might be biased about that though!

Good luck.
    Have to agree with that.