Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please Bino men

Advice please Bino men

I have been having a look through a couple of the shooting magazines for 'cheap binos'.
    I am desperate to fulfill my life long dream of becoming a deer stalker. Unfortunately money seems to be hard to come by right now and every time i do manage to save a bit up i get some horrendous bill through which the mrs insists we must pay.
    I have a very limited budget but i do have permission on a piece of land and i know there are deer there, i don't have an fac but i just want to get out spot them and count them and try to teach myself "the stalk".

These are the Binos i've seen which are cheap but i just wanted to know if any of you have any experience with them. If their crap and not worth it just let me know. Im just itching to get out there.

Tasco Essentials - 10x42 (various others) 74.95*

Luger FX 7x50 - 74.95

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

I can't vouch for the bins. you mention, but why not have a look around for some second hand ones? For similar money you will buy some zeiss Jena bins. (or similar) off the various auction sites, which optically, will be superior to the ones you mention. They may be vintage, but definately worth a look!

ATB

Tom

Minox but might be a bit out of your price range, if cash is tight have a look at the opticron range starts at around 100
    up to about 500, good glass and better value than a lot of more expensive binos, even the bottom of the range ones are really good.

IMO much better than your two examples

I bought my first proper binos used from these guys http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/usedequipment.html
    They have a pair of Zeiss advertised for just 39 at the moment.

With your budget if you buy new you'll be getting complete rubbish stick to good used stuff.

Binoculars - Optics: Secondhand & Used At Ace Cameras
    Second hand cameras, camera part exchange, digital cameras UK, used cameras, photographic shops, England

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Hi Phil,

I can't vouch for the bins. you mention, but why not have a look around for some second hand ones? For similar money you will buy some zeiss Jena bins. (or similar) off the various auction sites, which optically, will be superior to the ones you mention. They may be vintage, but definately worth a look!

ATB

Tom
    +1 i started off with some carl zeiss jena 8x32 off ebay
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

See if you can get a secondhand pair first. If no luck then look at Fox Firearms, they used to sell Nikula bins, they had an excellent review in one of the top mags and on that I purchased a pair. In all fairness for the money they were excellent, my son has now got them on permanent loan ( I treated myself to some Leicas) so no issue.

From what I have gleaned off this site Minox appear to be the most highly regarded bins for thoose on a tight budget.

D

cheers guys i'll keep looking then. Just saw these two pairs and thought altho they were cheap they might be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by filzee View Post
    I have been having a look through a couple of the shooting magazines for 'cheap binos'.
    I am desperate to fulfill my life long dream of becoming a deer stalker. Unfortunately money seems to be hard to come by right now and every time i do manage to save a bit up i get some horrendous bill through which the mrs insists we must pay.
    I have a very limited budget but i do have permission on a piece of land and i know there are deer there, i don't have an fac but i just want to get out spot them and count them and try to teach myself "the stalk".

These are the Binos i've seen which are cheap but i just wanted to know if any of you have any experience with them. If their crap and not worth it just let me know. Im just itching to get out there.

Tasco Essentials - 10x42 (various others) 74.95*

Luger FX 7x50 - 74.95

Cheers Phil
    Phil

Just put an advert on the national television send 3.00 for a good cause ,all these charities seem to get by on it why not you . Lol

Honestly phone Paul at Glasgow binocular repair hope street glasgow ,see what he has in stock ,he is very good with S/H binoculars ,some of the guys off here have done very well from him .

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    See if you can get a secondhand pair first. If no luck then look at Fox Firearms, they used to sell Nikula bins, they had an excellent review in one of the top mags and on that I purchased a pair. In all fairness for the money they were excellent, my son has now got them on permanent loan ( I treated myself to some Leicas) so no issue.

From what I have gleaned off this site Minox appear to be the most highly regarded bins for thoose on a tight budget.

D
    Have had a pair of nikula, and the opticrons even the entry model is twice as good various models entry models considerably less than Minox when like for like models compared side by side price wise there is nothing in it a very very good glass for the money comparably with others two and three times the price.

As for Carl zeiss OK if you have a chance to try them , but would be a bit wary of picking up a pair on the bay, remember they are an old glass

I have a pair he could have for a quid, and believe me he would be being done, totally shot only fit for the bin
    The Zeiss name does not necessarly make them perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Phil

Just put an advert on the national television send 3.00 for a good cause ,all these charities seem to get by on it why not you . Lol

Honestly phone Paul at Glasgow binocular repair hope street glasgow ,see what he has in stock ,he is very good with S/H binoculars ,some of the guys off here have done very well from him .

Now theres a good idea