Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted

Advice wanted

Hi. I am looking for some help. As a registered fac & shotgun licence holder with 25 plus years experience I am looking towards stalking muntjac & dear. I would however like to gain some experience in the field. Carcas management field craft etc. I'm not after free shooting just the opportunity to see deer management from start to finish before looking to book a days accompanied stalking. I am interested in the culling side of the sport and at present the trophy side can take a back seat.any help would be most welcome or a pointer inthe right direction. Cheers steve

FrIst bit of advice, Muntjac are DEER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Norddyp View Post
    Hi. I am looking for some help. As a registered fac & shotgun licence holder with 25 plus years experience I am looking towards stalking muntjac & dear. I would however like to gain some experience in the field. Carcas management field craft etc. I'm not after free shooting just the opportunity to see deer management from start to finish before looking to book a days accompanied stalking. I am interested in the culling side of the sport and at present the trophy side can take a back seat.any help would be most welcome or a pointer inthe right direction. Cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    wildfowler1, we all have to start somewhere, give the chap a chance.... and a leg up

Norddyp, I suggest that you join BASC, or the BDS, they will provide you with an abundance of literature and course you require. This site (SD Site) has excellent contributors, all of which will give you enough advice on various courses ie: lardering, pre DSC1 courses, carcass handling and the like, don't be shy to ask.

my very best wishes to you, welcome aboard

This is just the sort of remark that does not go with the ethos of what this site is all about. In fact it is a stupid remark to make. The guy is asking for some help and pointing in the right direction, not sarcasm.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Widlfowler - Perhaps the point was he was looking forward forward to stalking Munjac and the more DEAR species .

NordyPP - Jon Snowdon does an excellent introduction to deer stalking course that takes you throught the basics:
    biology and phylogeny, saftey, a bit of law, some centre fire shooting, a guided stalk and if you do your part right on the guided stalk an introduction to the Graloch.

I think a few people on the site have reviewed trips to his place (he writes for one of the magazines).

Google it - Greenlee Deer in fact, I'll not be so lazy:

http://www.greenleedeer.co.uk/

295 according to this.

Disclaimer:
    I am not, nor have I ever been, nor do I intend to be, Jon Snowdon
    Last edited by OSS32; 27-06-2012 at 19:27. Reason: Disclaimer

Sorry didnt mean to offend anybody,just had a bad day. !!no excuses I will make it right by offering a free stalk to him . Will that put it right.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    This is just the sort of remark that does not go with the ethos of what this site is all about. In fact it is a stupid remark to make. The guy is asking for some help and pointing in the right direction, not sarcasm.

No offence taken re the muntjac/deer remark. I view them as totally different in terms of quarry and didnt explain this properly. How many people would class a Muntjac in the same catagory as a trophy stag?.

Even someone experienced in many aspects of shooting must admit deer stalking is a completely different bag. The size of the quarry is a bit daunting to someone used to rabbits and pigeon, and I used to be a butcher many years ago.

Gaining experience by observing a stalk and having a chat would give me a good insite before i decide on the route to take.

Many thanks for your comments - all of them, I mean that. PLease keep the advice coming.

Regards

STEVE

steve, take wildfowler up on that free stalk cus the only way you learn is doing it

steve i would treat a munty the same as a stag just the same as any other i like them all for different reasons . i love to stalk muntjack they are difficult they wont stand for a second so you have to be quick off the mark . steve give mark at bunwell a pm if you stalk with mark he will take you through the whole process plenty of different species to choose but you need a sense of humor ,
    i wish you well ,let us know how you get on,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports