Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: IMR 4831 with 142gr Sierra HPBT (1742)

  1. #1

    IMR 4831 with 142gr Sierra HPBT (1742)

    Is anyone using IMR 4831 with their 6.5x55? Specifically with the Sierra 142gr HPBT (1742)?

    I've got the load data, but looking for real life experiences as the IMR data differs quite widely from that on Quickload. Looking at pushing these out too and beyond 1000 yds. (not stalking!!)

    Mike

  2. #2
    Mike

    No, I have used N165 and H4350 with these bullets with limited success in my 260 Rem. I haven't been able to get a load to match the 140gr A-Max performance. I would be quite happy to sell some of the Matchkings if you want some more.

    Regards JCS

  3. #3
    Not target but I run 140gn Nosler Partitions over 44gns of IMR 4831 for hunting through a 23" Blaser R8. Gives me 2,700fps with a VLD bullet that should get you out to 1,000 yards nicely
    Last edited by Vipa; 28-06-2012 at 14:03.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    A bit of advice: Quick load is a computer module. Hodgdon's data is derived from actual load development ina pressure gun. I would stick with the powder maker's data.

    That said, I have used H4831 in everything. Never that bullet, but 140 and 154 and 160 grain bullets. It works well depending on the preferences of the rifle. My new pet powder for the 6.5x55 is IMR 7828SSC. Excellent accuracy from my FN with 120 and 140 grain bullets. Might now work in yours but it is the best I've used so far in 2 different rifles.~Muir

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    A bit of advice: Quick load is a computer module. Hodgdon's data is derived from actual load development ina pressure gun. I would stick with the powder maker's data.

    That said, I have used H4831 in everything. Never that bullet, but 140 and 154 and 160 grain bullets. It works well depending on the preferences of the rifle. My new pet powder for the 6.5x55 is IMR 7828SSC. Excellent accuracy from my FN with 120 and 140 grain bullets. Might now work in yours but it is the best I've used so far in 2 different rifles.~Muir
    Thanks Muir - but H4831 is not the same as IMR 4831 - lots of folk seem to fall foul of this. Like all my loads, I will start low and work up steadily, watching for pressure signs and looking for the most accurate load and not just the fastest I can achieve - I like others, find that the fastest, is not usually the most accurate.

    Mike

  7. #7
    That should have been 140gn NPs over 44gns of IMR4831.... NOT 47... have changed it above.

    Sorry
    Paul

  8. #8

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrens Mews View Post
    Is anyone using IMR 4831 with their 6.5x55? Specifically with the Sierra 142gr HPBT (1742)?

    I've got the load data, but looking for real life experiences as the IMR data differs quite widely from that on Quickload. Looking at pushing these out too and beyond 1000 yds. (not stalking!!)

    Mike
    Yes, with the almost identical Sierra 140gr SPBT - Lapua cases. I worked up to Vipa's load again in a 23" barrel (so can confirm his quoted MV), but dropped back to 45.5 @ 2600 as it shot better. I've also used IMR 7828 as Muir has, but for your purposes the faster number would be my choice.

    I use IMR 4831 exclusively now for .243 87gr, 6.5mm 120gr, and .270 130gr as the same powder works best for all. This isn't available locally anymore, so don't know where (or at what price) more can be had.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrens Mews View Post
    Thanks Muir - but H4831 is not the same as IMR 4831 - lots of folk seem to fall foul of this. Like all my loads, I will start low and work up steadily, watching for pressure signs and looking for the most accurate load and not just the fastest I can achieve - I like others, find that the fastest, is not usually the most accurate.

    Mike
    I'm well aware of that. Sorry, I somehow thought it was H4831. (But still, I have used both in almost everything including 6.5x55)~Muir

Similar Threads

  1. Sierra 85grn Game King HPBT. Observations.
    By Harry mac in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 30-08-2016, 14:50
  2. Sierra .308 135grn HPBT, anyone used them?
    By jamross65 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-04-2013, 13:19
  3. sierra 150 grain hpbt matchking
    By eddie in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-08-2010, 18:30
  4. IMR 4831 vs IMR 4350 for 243 and 7x65, and Norma 243 100 gn load
    By Heym SR20 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-07-2010, 08:44
  5. IMR 4831 data please?
    By Monkey Spanker in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-02-2010, 15:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •