Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recommendation needed

recommendation needed

Hi All

Well after 20+ yrs of shooting targets/vermin it is time to get in to stalking.

I have the relevant condition on my FAC, the right firearm and moderator and the right gear. I have also attended, and passed, a DSC1 course last weekend.

What I now need is some practical experience, ie some acompanied stalking!

I am based in the North West so can be in Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire within a couple of hours drive. I also have a caravan near Holker so have access to the whole of Cumbria and surrounding the areas.

There is so much knowledge and experience on the forum, hence me joining, that I would rather visit somewhere that has been recommended by a member rather than "go it alone".

So, has anyone got any ideas of places to visit, people to use, contacts etc for a total novice to get started with?

Cheers

Russ

(replies by email/PM if you prefer)

Hi Russ

I would use the caravan and go out with Laurie Walton or his son Alistair at Thirlmere, that'd get you off on the right foot.

See http://basc.dotadmin.com/content/thi...talking_scheme

Good luck!

Nick

Thanks Nick

Unfortunatley, I am no longer a member of BASC so the Thirlmere option is a no-go for me. It does look a very good deal

Thanks also to the members who have PM'd me regarding a couple of estates in Cumbria who provide Roebuck stalking. I will email them tomorrow and get a few "irons in fires"

SD Regular
    Unfortunatley, I am no longer a member of BASC so the Thirlmere option is a no-go for me.

I would be ashamed to admit that I shot live quarry and was not a member of the BASC. Does this mean that you have NO INSURANCE too?

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares

I would be ashamed to admit that I shot live quarry and was not a member of the BASC.
    And your point is?

Are the BDS, NGO, Countryside alliance etc ...
    not exceptable to be a member of, if you shoot live quarry

good luck with your stalking Russ
    hope you get a decent deal

SD Regular
    No. Because NONE of the others have the political influence to defend our sport effectively and the BDS are no friends at all of the shooting stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares
    No. Because NONE of the others have the political influence to defend our sport effectively and the BDS are no friends at all of the shooting stalker.
    I beg to differ & I quote the Countryside Alliance:

The Alliance promotes and safeguards the legitimate rights and interests of all shooters and shooting sports - including target shooting, game shooting, stalking and clay pigeon shooting.

What do we do?
    To put it simply, our task is to communicate:

To inform politicians, at European, Westminster, Scottish, Welsh and local government level;

To gather political intelligence and use this to formulate the Countryside Alliance's political strategy.

We work closely with the Policy Team and we have an on-going programme of lobbying politicians on a whole range of rural issues. We employ various different lobbying techniques:

Sending written briefs on Bills at each stage;

Holding meetings with individual MPs;

Exhibiting at each political party conference.

Plus I believe the CA are the only organisation who are actively pursuing in parliament the repeal of the Hunting Act.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rob
    [Plus I believe the CA are the only organisation who are actively pursuing in parliament the repeal of the Hunting Act.

Chris
    Chris that is the main agenda for the CA, Hunting, everything else if just an add on. BASCs main agenda is live quarry shooting, as the saying goes "each to their own" but as long as we're all going in the same direction, and we all belong to one of them...

Brian

Chris, you state -

To inform politicians, at European, Westminster, Scottish, Welsh and local government level;
    Why then did the CA dispense with their lobbyist at Cardiff Bay? Because in their blinkered Anglocentric world they couldn't accept that the Welsh just might have a right to legislate in their own country. Why, in recent literature did they refer to their activity in every political forum in the UK and beyond other than Cardiff? Because they continued to believe that nothing of true value would ever come from the Assembly. Why am I so disappointed? Because, beyond repealing the hunting ban, their sole interest appears to be the furtherance of the political careers of their officials with an almost complete disregard for the interests of the common shooting man. One county group even succeeded in having a life long servant of the Conservatives expelled from the party in order that a CA candidate could be selected to stand for Westminster.

I should add that I speak from experience. I was one of the earliest members of the original Countryside Movement and proudly carried my banner on both London marches and that on the Assembly in Cardiff. Then the schemers moved in and turned a powerful, unifying movement into a vindictive agent of arrogant posturing and political manipulation.

You won't be surprised to hear that I have cancelled my membership and now divert my subscriptions to those country sports associations that speak for the ordinary man.

endfield spares.

I would be ashamed to admit that I shot live quarry and was not a member of the BASC. Does this mean that you have NO INSURANCE too?
    so do you think that all who take up our sport must spend 62 on BASC membership before they go on an outing with a agent/stalker when as i understand it if they are professionals they will have insurance to cover themselves and their client