Thread: 45-60 reloads, plus one for Muir, he's the man on western guns.

45-60 reloads, plus one for Muir, he's the man on western guns.

Have just bought a 45-60 and would like to know from the lever fans, I'm now a member, any loads, tips, you may have, I can make cases from 45-70 by cutting them down to size on the forums from the states they use H4831 with a half inch filler to fill the voids. I believe this is more potent than a 44 Rem Mag? but haven't spent much time comparing it, I could be wrong. So "Muir", your the man, its a Uberti reproduction, so sould be able to take reasonable loads, some posts on www.cascity.com talk building up to around 1500fps with a 300gn bullet (340? and a 405gn) with modern powders and a polystyrene filler. Can I get this as a follow up/humane use rifle as well as at a small indoor shooting club. Leverman, I blame you and John Wayne for my passion with western guns for the last 55 years. deerwarden,

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    Have just bought a 45-60 and would like to know from the lever fans, I'm now a member, any loads, tips, you may have, I can make cases from 45-70 by cutting them down to size on the forums from the states they use H4831 with a half inch filler to fill the voids. I believe this is more potent than a 44 Rem Mag? but haven't spent much time comparing it, I could be wrong. So "Muir", your the man, its a Uberti reproduction, so sould be able to take reasonable loads, some posts on www.cascity.com talk building up to around 1500fps with a 300gn bullet (340? and a 405gn) with modern powders and a polystyrene filler. Can I get this as a follow up/humane use rifle as well as at a small indoor shooting club. Leverman, I blame you and John Wayne for my passion with western guns for the last 55 years. deerwarden,
    Wow. Uberti is making a 45-60?? I didn't know! Se! You gave me too much credit. My friend Stan shot an original 1886 Winchester chambered for 45-60 for 200M "Cowboy Silhouette" comps. I know he loaded a 300 grain bullet over 20-24 grains of IMR 4198.

I absolutely avoid fillers of any kind. Why would you want a filler using H4831?? In a Trapdoor Springfield I load 53 grains with 400 grain bullet and it acts like black powder. Were it me, I'd fill the case to the base of the bullet with that powder using NO fillers. What rifle model is it a repo of?~Muir

PS: Let me look at some of my old data manuals.....

Muir, it 10 minutes past midnight, been waiting for your reply, its a 1876 model, which also I think goes up to 45-75 and 50-95, so these are potent big bore lever guns. Ulberti claim them to be able to be used on all major big game in the USA. It's a beauty, weighs around 10lds and has a 28" octagonal barrel. On the www.cascity site they complained of unburnt powder residue, hence the filler required. I'm going to replace the rear site with a marbles? maybe a semi buck horn type, I want to hunt with it but must get the required 1700 ft/lds, this is obtainable with the 44 mag, do you think I can I get it with the 45-60, if only we could still have pistols I would be in seventh heaven. I did the parks tour 4 years ago and spent 5 hours drooling in the Buffalo Bill Cody museum, looking at high end Winchester lever guns, a historic 1892 has been sold last week at auction for 1500, so they were out of my league, but the Ulberti was less than a third of that, probably because of the obsolete/unusual bore, and as new with no marks/little use apparent. As an engineer with acess to a lathe, I can easily trim down 45-70 cases, and have already sourced bullets. deerwarden
    Last edited by deerwarden; 27-06-2012 at 23:37.

I looked up some relatively modern data and it lists 4198 powder, 25 grains, as giving 1450 fps with a 300 grain bullet. That falls pretty far short of your 1700 ft/lb requirement. About 1400 ft/lbs.

I don't worry about "unburnt" powder in a case like this. Black powder is far messier!~Muir