Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parker hale 1941 Lithgow conversions

Parker hale 1941 Lithgow conversions

Neilo here,

Can any one supply me information with regard to 1941 Lithgow 303 conversions to
    Custom No 1 sporters.

The rifle I am looking at appears to be a Parker Hale but the barrel has no Rear or Fore sight, I am aware that some PH models did use military barrels. Did they use them on the custom No 1 Sporter

Thanks in Advance Neilo
    Last edited by Neilo; 29-06-2012 at 11:58.

All the photos in the P-H catalogues show commercial iron sights on the barrel of the Custom in both No1 and No4.
    The Custom does not appear in my #62 but does in my #67. Sadly the ones in between I do not have as yet so cannot check.

I am ignorant about the PH sporters but did they make them from Aussie rifles? I've never seen one on a Australian chassis.~Muir

It would appear so as Edi has been playing with one on a Lithgow action that belongs to a friend.

I have a feeling that Neilo's is another Canadian conversion. The one I saw photos of looked like a Bishops stock and was different to the Sile wood P-H used. But as I have said before I quickly learned that nothing is cast in stone where P-H production is concerned as they made special "unlisted" runs.

ive got one of these waiting for me in canada its a real beauty and was suprisingly cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    It would appear so as Edi has been playing with one on a Lithgow action that belongs to a friend.

I have a feeling that Neilo's is another Canadian conversion. The one I saw photos of looked like a Bishops stock and was different to the Sile wood P-H used. But as I have said before I quickly learned that nothing is cast in stone where P-H production is concerned as they made special "unlisted" runs.
    Strange. Never seen or heard of one on an Aussie but I'm no expert.~Muir

Thanks for the comments.

I now have several pics of this rifle, the stock is the same as my custom No 4.
    The forestock also has the rose wood tip with the white seperator, it appears to be Sile wood.

The barrel curve from the chamber appears to be the same as a militery one.
    The charger bridge appears to be intact and the scope is mounted on the c/bridge and reciever ring. no Side mount.

I am a bit slow with my computor so I will try to send the pictures via e-mail
    to you Kevin.

Again thanks for the replys Neilo
    Last edited by Neilo; 29-06-2012 at 12:20.

This is the one I had in the shop for a little while. The owner had surrender the rifle in the seventies
    and got it back this year. Some wait.!
    I think it said 1943 and Lithgow on the metal band at the bolt handle area.
    Not too sure about 1943, but it was early forties. (maybe Kevin remembers as it was in one of the e-mails)
    Officially this one is also called a Parker Hale.

edi

Thanks for the Pics edi,

On the rifle that I have decided to buy the scope mount is mounted in the same manner as in your photographs, also the Lithgow markings are on the but mounting and under the bolt.

I think the rifle that you show is a supreme No 1. When I gain posession of the rifle I will check out the numbers and Proof marks and then let all know of them.

Thanks again all, Keep the info comming, Neilo

"Foot note".

I rang the the old fella (I am 71) and told him of what I thought about the rifle being a Parker Hale thinking he might like more money. He was happy about what I told him and gave me 200 rounds of hand loaded ammunition to suit that rifle. Then he said he would throw in all his dies.press etc. He would not take the extra that I offered Him,

"It is nice to deal with good people"
    Last edited by Neilo; 01-07-2012 at 11:58.