Changing bullets in home loads

N.F.W.M

I recently made up some test loads for my 243 Ack Imp, using Nosler 90g Ballistic tips. Since then I have received some long awaited Nosler 90g Accubonds. It is the Accubonds that I am wanting to use as my hunting bullet.

My question... Is it ok to pull the BTs on the loaded rounds and simply replace with the Accubonds. Obviously as I am shooting the rounds I will be observing pressure signs etc... I am more interested in the neck tension of having pulled a bullet and then seated another without any form of resizing the neck ?

Regards

Sticks

i find neck tension is often slacker when having pulled a bullet (nothing scientific, it just feels easier to reseat after having pulled), I use a kinetic hammer though so it may be less of an issue with a collet puller.

if you were concerned you could always empty the charge, neck size and recharge with the saved powder. (just pull the decapping pin!)

i find neck tension is often slacker when having pulled a bullet (nothing scientific, it just feels easier to reseat after having pulled), I use a kinetic hammer though so it may be less of an issue with a collet puller.

if you were concerned you could always empty the charge, neck size and recharge with the saved powder. (just pull the decapping pin!)

Was hoping not to have to do that !!

Take half a dozen and try them!!!!!!.
I'd knock the powder back incrementaly on the first group of three to check for signs of pressure, and the last three I'd be looking for point of impact and group size.
You never know, they might even be better.

Last edited:
You really need to neck size them if you want consistancy.

If you have a redding die just remove the stem and resize without emptying the powder

I my experiance Accubonds and BT's are totally interchangeable in regards to powder charges and accuraccy

But and its a big but I have found Accubond terminal effects on UK Game to be dire providing little or no expansion, knock down or wound channel

For me its in the same category as Partions and Barnes X and not a bullet I will allow clients or guests to use.

For me its in the same category as Partions and Barnes X and not a bullet I will allow clients or guests to use.[/QUOTE]

You won't let clients use Partitions ??? please explain.

Oh and thanks for the advice.

I have been using 130 gn Partitions in my 270 BDL Remmy since the middle/late 70s for Roe and Fallow. I am unable to recall any problems with them, DRT every time.
Peter

There isn't a finer bullet than a Partition for UK game, faultless from Roe to Reds. Accubonds on the other hand have been found lacking, certainly in the expansion department, pin holing on several occasions.

This is my (limted) experience also. They come out the other side OK, but don't do enough damage on the way through.

Exactly my experience too

Punches a hole straight through without any decent damage or expansion

Now give me a 130 grain ballistic tip any day most deer drop on the spot those that don't leave one hell of a blood trail I have shot several thousand deer with them and never had a carcass rejected for damage.

Back