Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake/ Copies/ Clone/ Counterfeit/ Moody Scopes!

Blog Entries

Fake/ Copies/ Clone/ Counterfeit/ Moody Scopes!

I have been scope shopping on line over this last week. What has really taken me back are the number of Fakes/ Copies/ clone/ counterfeit /Moody scopes that are for sale.

I became initially aware that Bushnell were being copied widely after I found a great spec scope on the bay for a very good price new. When I went looking on Bushnells site I found that wasnt't not a spec that they do in Europe or the States. Its a give away sign if they are being sold new with mounts! Also some of the Fakes have an E etched after the spec. This one in particular was from a business trader who only sells scopes. I contacted him and he said that he was going to contact his distributor in Hong Kong and ask about authenticity but that I shouldnt buy it until he came back to me. Guess what, he hasn't yet.

Ive noticed at the budget end of the market that there are a lot of Tasco scopes that have probably never seen a Tasco factory.

There are a couple of German sounding brands that are clearly Chinese.

Not sure about some marked Nikko as opposed to NikkoStirling.

There are also a lot of fake Leupolds on the market.

Dont be fooled by authentic looking packaging either! Fake scope in a fake box!

Hope this warning helps folks not spend a heap of hard earned on something not that good and with no warranty.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 28-06-2012 at 09:52.

Good to bring this to members attention, lots of fake leupolds out there on the bay especially mk 4's, won't be long untill nightforces are copied I guess.

Glad I bought a second hand german scope from a very nice chap off of here now.

PJ.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Account Suspended
    Adding my tuppence to an excellent thread.

If a Scope says... "Nikko Sterling" ...on it, it's definitely a knock-off.

There's no such company.

"If a Scope says... "Nikko Sterling" ...on it, it's definitely a knock-off. "

Oh really
    then please explain this one:-

Notice the name on it and that's the same that appears in various Parker-Hale catalogues as P-H were the importers for many years.

I also have in front of me a 1980's Nikko Stirling Electro-Sight 4x40 and a Nikko Sterling "Silver Crown" 6x32 recently got from Hubert. There are also several more of the old 4x32's some are marker "Special Sporting". Then there is the Nikko Stirling Platinum 30mm ring mounts and a Collimeter set plus a 4x40 Platimum scope also marked clearly Nikko Stirling.

It's a shame that the current management of the company chose greed over quality Control and moved production to China from Japan and since then the quality has really gone down the drain as I found out to my own expense.
    Last edited by Brithunter; 28-06-2012 at 16:25. Reason: Correcting spelling typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Adding my tuppence to an excellent thread.

If a Scope says... "Nikko Sterling" ...on it, it's definitely a knock-off.

There's no such company.
    +1

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    "If a Scope says... "Nikko Sterling" ...on it, it's definitely a knock-off. "

Oh really
    then please explain this one:-

Notice the name on it and that's the same that appears in various Parker-Hale catalogues as P-H were the importers for many years.

I also have in front of me a 1980's Nikko Sterling Electro-Sight 4x40 and a Nikko Sterling "Silver Crown" 6x32 recently got from Hubert. There are alos several more of the old 4x32's some are marker "Special Sporting". Then there is the Nikko Sterling Platinum 30mm ring mounts and a Collimeter set plus a 4x40 Platimum scope also marked clearly Nikko Sterling.

It's a shame that the current management of the company chose greed over quality Control and moved production to China from Japan and since then the quality has really gone down the drain as I found out to my own expense.
    B-H clean your specs mate.

It's Stirling not Sterling.

ps. I'm very fond of the old one's too, great value.

Blog Entries
    Bewsher500. I deliberately didnt put links etc for risk of action against the owners of this site by those you are alleging are offering counterfeit goods for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    B-H clean your specs mate.

It's Stirling not Sterling.

ps. I'm very fond of the old one's too, great value.
    Quite right........................... how did you know I am over due for new ones. Having to use ones at least a decade old to read the comp screen as cannot do so with my spare distance ones. My varifocals of course met their demise under plods boot.

I have corrected my spelling gaff . Thank you for pointing it out.

Of course your post raises another issue why the heck would they want to fake the current production?

After all it's pretty rubbish now from my experience.

Those are not claiming to be legit items. One clearly states its a replica and the one says built to the spec of.....

The ones to watch for are the ones that are claiming to be legit.