What do you / would you carry when stalking alone and in a group

Vipa

As per title what do you carry when stalking alone, or what would you carry if you don't stalk alone and what wouldn't you bother with or add if there was more than one of you?

Other than rifle & ammo & Binos obviously!

If moving any distance from vehicle or if I intend to be out all day, my kit is:
  • 30 litre Blackhawk hydration pack (with bladder for water) containing..
  • Basic first aid kit (now containing tourniquet and fast clotting agent!)
  • Emergency shelter (one step up from a space blanket, packs down to the size of 2 packs of cards)
  • Flask/stove/jetboil.. what ever is fit for purpose on that day
  • Fire making kit
  • 3 in 1 coffee sachets
  • couple of emergency high calorie snacks
  • Head torch
  • Torch
  • Main Knife
  • Back up Knife
  • Leatherman
  • Detol wipes
  • small plastic mat to put knives on
  • Latex Gloves
  • a few small cable ties
  • Midge net hat
  • Deer drag and 2 caribiners (then doubles as hoist if I have a suitable branch close by to make the gralloch that bit easier)
  • 1 lightweight flynet
  • PLB
  • Mobile phone
  • Clothing layers / waterproofs as necessary
If I wan't alone, I don't think I would leave anything out but I would add a radio.

If I wasn't going far from vehicle I might not take anything at all!

Sounds a lot but it about 1/3 - 1/2/ fills the backpack and is no bother to carry

As per title what do you carry when stalking alone, or what would you carry if you don't stalk alone and what wouldn't you bother with or add if there was more than one of you?

If moving any distance from vehicle or if I intend to be out all day, my kit is:
  • Emergency shelter (one step up from a space blanket, packs down to the size of 2 packs of cards)
  • Fire making kit
  • 3 in 1 coffee sachets
  • Head torch
  • Torch
  • Main Knife
  • Back up Knife
  • Leatherman
  • Detol wipes
  • Latex Gloves
  • a few small cable ties
  • Midge net hat
  • Deer drag and 2 caribiners (then doubles as hoist if I have a suitable branch close by to make the gralloch that bit easier)
  • 1 lightweight flynet
  • PLB
  • Mobile phone
If I wan't alone, I don't think I would leave anything out but I would add a radio.

Sounds a lot but it about 1/3 - 1/2/ fills the backpack and is no bother to carry

I'd leave out 99% of your list its a waste of space, knife, torch (maybe) bit off para cord you can do anything .That includes first aid, you have enough kit on your person to deal with 90% of situations .

Carrying the kit is one thing having the knowledge to use it is another.

Last edited:
except perhaps make a brew, cook your lunch (if that's the way you are going) summon SAR, help yourself in case of serious injury, stave off hypothermia in case of imobilisation...

Paracord is great and I replaced the tape on my deer drag with it so I suppose I carry a supply of that too... BUT... it ain't the be all and end all! 2 or 3 miles away from vehicle which is 10 - 15 miles from civilisation into a gnarly and difficult forestry block with no phone signal... anything could happen!

Last edited:
I have most of the stuff you mention but I always leave it in the car, I only take rifle, sticks, knife, latex gloves, a bottle of water and bino's with me on a stalk.
After reading stav's story I think I'll start carrying a basic first aid kit too.... (you guessed it) which I leave in the car :D

• Fire making kit
  • 3 in 1 coffee sachets
  • Head torch
  • Torch
  • Main Knife
  • Back up Knife
  • Leatherman
  • Detol wipes
  • Latex Gloves
  • a few small cable ties
  • Midge net hat
  • 1 lightweight flynet
  • PLB
  • Mobile phone

I would need a slave aswell to carry this lot, I would also leave 90% of this in the motor.

I'd leave out 99% of your list its a waste of space, knife, torch (maybe) bit off para cord you can do anything .That includes first aid, you have enough kit on your person to deal with 90% of situations .

Carrying the kit is one thing having the knowledge to use it is another.

+1.Im going stalking,not pretending to be Bare Gyrls when hes pretending to be roughing it.

• Fire making kit
  • 3 in 1 coffee sachets
  • Head torch
  • Torch
  • Main Knife
  • Back up Knife
  • Leatherman
  • Detol wipes
  • Latex Gloves
  • a few small cable ties
  • Midge net hat
  • 1 lightweight flynet
  • PLB
  • Mobile phone

Ah i get it your ray mears in disguise :lol::lol::lol::lol: regards pete

rifle, ammo, sticks, bit of rope, torch if i remember, knife, binos, mobile phone and what im wearing. dont think i need much more. jst more to carry around weighing me down. dont see the point in emergency stuff because unless u really are in the wilderness your never more than a phonecall away from help.

rifle, ammo, sticks, bit of rope, torch if i remember, knife, binos, mobile phone and what im wearing. dont think i need much more. jst more to carry around weighing me down. dont see the point in emergency stuff because unless u really are in the wilderness your never more than a phonecall away from help.

Absolutely ZERO phone signal anywhere on my patch!

• Fire making kit
  • 3 in 1 coffee sachets
  • Head torch
  • Torch
  • Main Knife
  • Back up Knife
  • Leatherman
  • Detol wipes
  • Latex Gloves
  • a few small cable ties
  • Midge net hat
  • 1 lightweight flynet
  • PLB
  • Mobile phone

Absolutely ZERO phone signal anywhere on my patch!

Very strange you would feel the need to carry it about,or im probably missing something very logical.

Having seen a fair few stalkers if they carried that lot there is no way they would be the shape they are :)

I have a fair bit in the truck but on me its gloves sticks knife rifle Binos and usually a drink. I'd suggest getting a mule rather than a border terrier if you want to take the kitchen sink along as well!

Knife,
Gloves
Quick Clot Dressing
Smart Phone (Map, GPS, Strobe, Compass, Torch all in one)

cannot see the need for anything else its not like you are backpacking into the bush for 3 days.

Most stalkers are rarely far from a vehicle or the abilty to summon help or transport in a short space of time

Not much good in there if you take a fall 2 miles from it and can't move! :confused:

I often think that, what if I go over on my ankle miles from anywhere?... no phone signal and unable to walk. I could be there for days before anyone even realizes I'm missing.

except perhaps make a brew, cook your lunch (if that's the way you are going) summon SAR, help yourself in case of serious injury...

Crumbs, I seldom remember to take the key out of the pickup, what with remembering the rifle, bolt, ammo, bins, stick, knife and a bit of rope. Then again I never was in the boyscouts.

I like to see those running folk that need their Isotonic re-hydration containers, for the half hour run and... clearly you're not a walker. With them it's the two poles, you must have TW0 and they must be POLES, not sticks... and I'm not talking about taking a couple of folk from eastern Europe either. I am not actually being sarky here either, truly, it just brings a pleasant smile to my face to see such dedication and preparation. I guess I just envy such people and the effort they put in.

Good effort. Formidable listing but..... no stick? :eek:

What about a pull-through?

Has to depend on the type of ground, weather etc.

If I was going up into the Welsh mountains i'd take a survival kit, just mooching on a lowland farm then just whatever fits in my pockets.

Basic essentials for any shooting trip? knife x2, torch, basic first aid kit, water, bit of baler twine!

Back