Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recieved from BDS Branch

Recieved from BDS Branch

The Wildlife and Natural Environment Act 2011 introduced a requirement that SNH must by 1st April 2014 carry out a review of the levels of competence among those who shot deer in Scotland and the effect of such levels of competence on deer welfare.

The Scottish deer management sector has undertaken to make interested people aware of this review and to supply training and assessment to satisfy this requirement. The uptake of training will be measured and assessed by SNH by April 2014. Should the voluntary uptake of training and assessment to the agreed standard be deemed inadequate the Scottish Government has the power to introduce a register of those persons competent to shoot deer. Those who have achieved a required standard will be registered. Persons who are not registered will not be lawfully able to shoot deer unsupervised in Scotland.

The agreed level of competency is DSC 1.

What does dsc level 1 prove

Can i say i told you so a long time ago and i was doubted by many. I would ask what the up take would need to be to satisfy SNH and i would also be asking how long after 2014 deer stalkers will be given to reach the standard.
    DavidH your information from BDS is very vague and that society sitting on the steering group for competence should be able to inform its members fully. Might be time for this site to place as a stick a full list of LEV 1 Suppliers and costs. Happy Days all who stalk in Scotland.
    Smudge it proves you know what way to conduct your self when dealing with fire arms it shows you know current legislation regards deer . It suggest you are up to standard with the meat and hygiene laws.

Blog Entries
    Smudge262. It shows you have an understanding about Deer Ecology, Biology, Habitat, Habits and the UK Law pertaining to them. Ensures you know at least a little about deer Health and Hygeinic treatment for product destined for the human food chain. Also should assess your safety in using a powerful firearm, maybe even tell a newbie what to do with a misfire! So its not all bad by any measure.

There is an enevitability about this. Mine was a requirement for my FAC being conditioned for Deer decades ago.

I have to buy Steel Toecapped boots for people who pick up a computer from time to time. Now thats flipping mad. Guns and Food? No real surprise.

Forestry Commission now want DSC2 to cull a few deer each year!

I wouldnt be happy either if I didnt sit here smugly having got mine. Equally I have to update it with a Meat Hygiene test or I cannot sell to my gamedealer!?!
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 28-06-2012 at 16:23.

Well let's hope it deters visitors from going to Scotland stalkign. Once it effects there income theyr will change their minds.

But then again it's politicians we are talking about so basically it will only effect the workign stalkers and guides.

Quote Originally Posted by smudge262 View Post
    Don't start that - plenty of threads have argued that one to death

Quote Originally Posted by smudge262 View Post
    DSC1 is a basic qualification for deer stalkers and managers. It is a largely knowledge based qualification which enables candidates to demonstrate their understanding of basic deer management principles and meat hygiene, and to show competence in shooting at simulated targets.

It proves to someone issuing you with a ticket that you have bothered yer arse to become educated about what you are doing. If you think you already know it all, then it's simple - just do the assessment part.
    I'd also like to join 6 pointer in the 'told you so' club!
    If you think the rest of UK won't follow suit then you are probably living under a rock!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Well let's hope it deters visitors from going to Scotland stalkign. Once it effects there income theyr will change their minds.
    Effect income your having a giraffe, it's been brought up in about every meeting in the deer world in Scotland, in the last 3 + years it is up to those who are wishing to carry out there sport/ pastime, to achive the correct standred of training that of course is a individual's own preference .

There in the problem lies, people think that once the complete there level 1 which is basic theory, they can talk the talk ,sorry far from it is a entry level for everyone, level two practical where in you collect the information by going out stalking, gaining the required knowledge, asking a AW to watch your stalking technique and asking you further questions on the subject nothing that you haven't covered in the level 1 ,three times simple.

So Kevin where is that going to effect Scottish stalking if anything it will produce more revenue for the DMQ providers ,have a look at the numbers registered to the numbers completed .there level 1 & 2.

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Happy Days all who stalk in Scotland.
    Smudge it proves you know what way to conduct your self when dealing with fire arms it shows you know current legislation regards deer . It suggest you are up to standard with the meat and hygiene laws.
    I think the only thing it proves is that you have the cash to do the course/assessment. So, it will only be happy days for those in Scotland who have the cash to get the qualification.

You must also consider that not everyone in Scotland lives within 20 minutes drive of someone who runs a course. Those who wish to stalk and who live on the islands, for example, will probably have to travel to Inverness. By the time they factor in travel days, accommodation, travel costs, course costs, living expenses and so on they will not have any change from 1,000.

Happy days indeed, but only for rich people looking to poach the stalking of others.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

[QUOTE=Brithunter;400396]Well let's hope it deters visitors from going to Scotland stalkign. Once it effects there income theyr will change their minds [QUOTE.

Brithunter, from what has been already posted, it applies to UNsupervised stalking (UNaccompanied), so it will not apply to those who provide a service to others, and that service is supervised (accompanied)

Last edited by patrickt; 28-06-2012 at 17:11. Reason: missed word out