Sharpening a gutting blade advice

Rotwild

Hello chaps

Looking for some advice off anybody that sharpens a gutting blade, which is the most effective and easiest way of sharpening a concaved blade, thank you in advance.

Kindest regards
Garry

Bit of extra find sand paper, old belt sander belts work best, roll it up to fit the profile of the blade and away you go :thumb:

Just leave it in the company disco and when your mate finds it he will sharpen it:D
You know me! Not one to take liberties, but talking about the company disco, the boy is getting quite attached to it and the missus says there is a smell and cannot quite work out what it is! I blamed the spaniels, not wanting to tell her about all the dead things that end up in the back of it:lol:

Cheers H i'll give it a go,

Would be nice if you could get them straight for an alternative to a chainsaw file! Think it would last a lot longer than my vallorbes.

Not a marketing plug, just straight response.

Rod type ceramic sharpeners - like the Lansky's - work just fine with curved 'tripe/ gut' style blades. Dismount the rod and they often fit those fiddly hook type appendages found on some knives ( yuk! ).

Chainsaw file is really on the coarse side for the job.

Suitable abrasive paper on a dowel would work well too.

Ceramic rod, or 1200 wet and dry on some dowel works for me, although I have used the top of the landy window before now and a leather lace to get a really slick edge.

If it is a gut hook, then get out the angle grinder and whip it off. No more trouble with it being blunt, difficelt to sharpen and making your knife look like it belongs to a fag or give it to your mate. Just put your fingers inside the animal either side of the blade tip to guide your knife when unzipping the guts like the rest iof us have done since forever.

Back