Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a Macnab

What constitutes a Macnab

I was wondering what makes a proper macnab apart from a stag a salmon and a grouse,or should it be a brace? What is the time span dawn till dusk or 24 hrs ?Poached or legal. I am off after a trout or two next week on the Test and was going to set my self the challenge of a roe buck, a brace of brownies and10 pigeons in 24 hrs ( lots of travelling for the trout) So perhaps I could describe it as a poor man's Macnab. Any other ideas for a macnab .

9 years in the SAS and write a few war stories

I think the origin of the McNab was a poacher who boasted he could take a deer, salmon and grouse from an estate without getting caught.

A McNab from my local estate would have to comprise a Muntjac for the deer, a pheasant for the game bird and probably a grayling as the game fish.

Cheers,

Bob

P.S.

I believe that on some estates a normal MacNab can be upgraded to a "Royal". However, this involves the gamekeeper's daughter and is probably best avoided by all except the most skilled of sportsmen !!!
    Last edited by Dovebob; 29-06-2012 at 12:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    I think the origin of the McNab was a poacher who boasted he could take a deer, salmon and grouse from an estate without getting caught.
    It comes from the novel "John McNab" by John Buchan, author of "The Thirty-Nine Steps". In it, three bored gents decide to poach a salmon, a stag and a grouse from a particular estate within 24 hours, just for the hell of it. But to make it more interesting, they send a letter to the owner beforehand announcing their intention, and sign it "John McNab". So it's actually a collective alias for three different people. They then proceed to use all sorts of diversionary tactics so that one of them's fishing while the other two are leading the gamekeepers on a wild goose chase, that sort of thing.

Never had a mcnab but nearly had a mcsolway (solway stalkers version) wildboar, Roebuck, salmon
    Got the wildboar and Roebuck never got the salmon got a sea bass instead
    Will be going for it this year again.
    Kc

EXMOOR McNAB.
    STAG SALMON +EXMOOR YOUNG LADY(all before breakfast)done that twice,married her since!

Lest there be any doubt...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Macnab.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	899.2 KB 
ID:	16986
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

To be honest, it's not one of the great works of literature of the English language... It might make a half-decent Sunday afternoon sort of film though. With Johnny Depp as Sir Archie and Julian Clary as one of the other guys to mix it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    It comes from the novel "John McNab" by John Buchan, author of "The Thirty-Nine Steps". In it, three bored gents decide to poach a salmon, a stag and a grouse from a particular estate within 24 hours, just for the hell of it. But to make it more interesting, they send a letter to the owner beforehand announcing their intention, and sign it "John McNab". So it's actually a collective alias for three different people. They then proceed to use all sorts of diversionary tactics so that one of them's fishing while the other two are leading the gamekeepers on a wild goose chase, that sort of thing.
    No grouse involved. Actually a very good book, one of my all time favourites. JC

You're right, I don't know why I said that. I read the book maybe 15-16 years ago, it's been a while. I think Archie gets the girl at the end.