The Cost of DSC1

i have to say that the 2 day course by morray outfitting is ideal. i sat this course last weekend and was really impressed. i am no academic whiz kid, that's for sure, but i found the home learning backed up with phone or e-mail support from the tutors to be perfect for me.

we didn't learn to be parrots, but were given examples of where the questions were applicable in the field.

this is my personal opinion but i understand that other people may need a different approach ie. more face to face tuition.

I am sure all of the courses have their pros and cons. Anyone thinking of sitting their level1 should consider which course suits their personal circumstances and make their decision accordingly.

It always annoys me that £300 is thrown around as the minimum cost of DSC1 and all these vastly experienced stalkers have to pay £300 to sit on a course that will teach them nothing just to get a piece of paper when they could sit assessment only for less than half that price.

I'm not particularly sure why people go on the courses. Time for me is very precious and since you can buy the manual with all the information and questions. There is not that much to know and if you can play the deer recognition online it's easy. The only question I got wrong is one I disagree with the answer on!

Another benefit of the four day course which I attended was that, for anyone who failed one of the modules, it was possible to resit that module on the final day, using new exam papers.

A couple of people took advantage of that opportunity and so were able to pass, without having to resit at a later date, perhaps when the training was not so fresh in their minds.

The tutor also was willing to take each of us, individually and in private, through our incorrect answers, whether we had passed or otherwise.

Obviously none of us were told that we had definitely passed, but those who had failed to reach the necessary score were told why, and given the opportunity to re-sit immediately.

I understand from previous discussions here that not all providers do this.

Another benefit of the four day course which I attended was that, for anyone who failed one of the modules, it was possible to resit that module on the final day, using new exam papers.

A couple of people took advantage of that opportunity and so were able to pass, without having to resit at a later date, perhaps when the training was not so fresh in their minds.

The tutor also was willing to take each of us, individually and in private, through our incorrect answers, whether we had passed or otherwise.

Obviously none of us were told that we had definitely passed, but those who had failed to reach the necessary score were told why, and given the opportunity to re-sit immediately.

I understand from previous discussions here that not all providers do this.
surley if the 4 day is more indepth then resists shouldn't be common?
I would like to add that we are offering assessment only at a cost of £130.

I'm not particularly sure why people go on the courses. Time for me is very precious and since you can buy the manual with all the information and questions. There is not that much to know and if you can play the deer recognition online it's easy. The only question I got wrong is one I disagree with the answer on!

I did the 2 day course as really that was all I could justify time off wise, We had people there who thought they would just learn everything needed on the course and they struggled. It was all information you could learn at home easily especially with the online tutorials available. There was extra on top which was interesting but that wasn't needed to actually pass, personally I think it gets built up into something it really isn't. It doesn't equip you with enough to go out and shoot deer on your own you still gain from being shown the ropes, the theory is there. Then frankly the large game meat hygiene section is a joke but it gives you a bit of paper that says you can do it.

I did the NSCC in 1995 and it was over 4 days but I let it lapse when I went to Germany and so I did the DSC1 in Sparsholt on a 4 day as I remember and the content was in both courses very comprehensive and I thought very good, the first course I had no UK experience and on the second I had 16 years worth so I think I could judge it quite well.
The 4 day course give you the experience to absorb the knowledge of the other participents too but on a 2 day I would think you are just cramming it all in.
Just my twopennorth.
Martin

It always annoys me that £300 is thrown around as the minimum cost of DSC1 and all these vastly experienced stalkers have to pay £300 to sit on a course that will teach them nothing just to get a piece of paper when they could sit assessment only for less than half that price.
I have been to numerous level 1 courses and best practice events etc and have always learnt something.

Always willing to learn and do keep an open mind - but with NSCC, BDS Advanced and a few others already under my belt, (plus several years working in the industry), it seemed somewhat pointless to take what was essentially the same course I had previously taught on. An assessment only was the sensible, (and cheaper), choice for me - and no doubt others as well.

I may be biased having recently completed the (2 day) course at Barony but can’t fault it in terms of length, structure, content or delivery and do not think an extra 2 days would have added any significant value to it (though and extra 2 days up there would have been a lot of fun!).
When looking at the delivery of the course against the objectives and outcomes of it 2 days seems ample provided the instructor is competent and students come well prepared.
The real strengths on the course I attended were:
  1. It was small (3 students) and therefore well-tailored to our individual learning needs and styles and experience, which in our small group varied from little stalking experience to one who had been stalking for a few years and also we had vastly different experiences of learning ( from recent post graduate university experience to those who had not been in a class room or learning environment for a long time).
  2. The delivery of the course was excellent, Paul took the time to get to know us and tailored his teaching to get the best from each of us. As someone who spends a lot of time observing and grading teachers and teaching (I am an assistant principal in a school with responsibility for teaching and learning) it was good to be on the receiving end of quality teaching.
I could see how longer may be needed if students had no previous experience of using rifles, but we still managed to fit plenty of time on the range that could have been used for more rifle tuition instead of having a “play” with Pauls AR15 and .375.
I would be interested to know the student to instructor ratios on the 4 day courses. As in my opinion a smaller 2 day course with good instruction must deliver more personalised and quality learning than a longer yet bigger course were the instructor may have less time to spend on each student.
All in all I learnt loads had a good time and got a certificate that means I can now start to build on my experience and look to work towards the level two which I viewed the level one as a means to that end.
Suppose its horses for courses and if you think 4 days would benefit you go for a longer course. If you are prepared to put some work in prior to the course and maybe know your way round a rifle to some degree then 2 days is ample.

That's good to hear Bart. Sounds like you had a great time up there.

I totally agree with you on the benefit of smaller courses. One other thing is that the companies and trainers running two day courses rarely have to cancel a course. In our catchment area, we have recently seen two courses cancelled by an established college, and one by one of the other organisations due to lack of uptake (less than 4 candidates) and that was good for us as we simply picked up one or two extra guys that had committed to other trainers. it's very good for learners to know that they can rely on some trainers to provide, even if the sheer numbers aren't there.

We'd never cancel a course due to not enough people on it, and in fact have found - as you have - that learners benefit from the 1:1 instruction.

You're in good hands with Paul at Barony.

Regards,

Bart

Thought that was extremely well put and got to the crux of a main part of the whole 'issue'. Its the individual that counts and what works best for them allied to the actual structure/ content of the particular course - or even just the Assessment.

Mike

Well put too!

I know when I did my level 1 and 2 NVQ 18 years ago it was 2 weeks , one in May and another in July. we had to do tree damage evaluation , trophy prep siteing high seats and be out stalking. It was a great course and I have remained friends with many of the students as well as the instructors.

Mark

Oh by the way we do DSC1 and have 2 places left for August. have a look at the website or PM me.

Borders College do it over six weeks, two hours per evening one night a week for five weeks with the last week being tests, most of the people on it were working during the day so it worked well for those who attended, it also gave you a chance to go away, get your head around the evenings tuition and get back to the instructors if you had any questions. Cost was £290 (with lots of brews and home baking) or tests only £100,

Back