Thread: Pregnant roe does the target

Pregnant roe does the target

Did anyone see the article in the Scottish farmer supplement last week on deer stalking ? Lovely picture of a heavily pregnant doe as the cover shot tagged with the phrase THE TARGET ! I feel that stalkers are largely left at piece from the antis but when things like that get published it doesn't do us any favours ! Journalists should really watch what they write ! It was written and photographed by a Linda Mellor

Quote Originally Posted by smudge262 View Post
    Did anyone see the article in the Scottish farmer supplement last week on deer stalking ? Lovely picture of a heavily pregnant doe as the cover shot tagged with the phrase THE TARGET ! I feel that stalkers are largely left at piece from the antis but when things like that get published it doesn't do us any favours ! Journalists should really watch what they write ! It was written and photographed by a Linda Mellor
    I have had more experience with journalists than most and articles such as this are produced in a way to prompt a reaction, the "facts" don't have to be accurate, how can the aggrieved party give their side of the story anyway ? Not without a load of hassle and maybe including the Press Complaints Commission and how many people are going to go to that extent ?
    The primary aim is to sell as many newspapers or magazines as possible and if it ruffles the feathers of one or two minority groups so what ?

Maybe lodge a complaint with the police - something around incitement to contravene wildlife law?

I know Linda, infact I'm in one of her photos in that article, and I'm certain of one thing. She hasn't written that to generate a reaction.

Although she has many year fieldsports experience, especially with gundogs, she is relatively new to the stalking world.

I'm sure it has been an inadvertant blunder, and hopefully most reader of that magazine (farming) probably won't even notice.

However, like Smudge I did notice it and will inform Linda of this issue next time I chat to her.

If she knows very little about stalking why is she trying to write about it ? Anyone writing an article to promote stalking would use a pic of a nice buck not a doe and defiantly not a pregnant doe ! I have discussed this issue yesterday with both basic and the bds including one of the other stalkers pictured in the article and all are disgusted and agree that she should not be getting involved in something she knows nothing about

MJR - very good, balanced reply.

Journalists are writers of a story first and foremost, like everyone else, they are not going to be experts on everything. Ideally, they research a topic and produce a well-informed and balanced product.

Clearly that isn't always the remit and far too often sloppy work/ misunderstanding/ editorial policy combine to produce something that paints a slanted picture. Trouble is - its often hard to discern from where the issue stems. The soft/ polite response would be the proverbial excess fluid relief without due regards to prevailing wind conditions to some of the hacks out there. But a 'steaming' demand sent to a genuine person who has misunderstood something ( and just look at the muddle we get into on SD between ourselves ) does very little to foster our good image.

Nothing beats having a broad network and being in a position to influence such things in a positive and ethical way. Yet another benefit of SD?
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017