Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not stalking related, Lamprey.

Not stalking related, Lamprey.

Walking my springers along the riverbank this morning, (River Dee, Llangollen) and my old bitch retreived a Lamprey which was already dead. This seems to be larger than normal, from what I can gather. Just wondering if it is adnormally large or just the norm. It was at least 2ft long.
    Kev.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-06-29 06.57.13 HDR.jpg   2012-06-29 06.58.23.jpg   2012-06-29 06.58.35.jpg  

hello mate i see them on the eden and that is the same size of ones i see.

regards
    chris

Never seen one before except in books. Thanks for posting

its about the normal size ive seen a few around me

Apparently a favourite food of Henry VIII.

I cought one 25 years ago in the river usk, about the same size as that, and I was told by the old bloke I was fishing with that the queen gets a lamprey pie delivered to the palace every year,
    Now weather that is true or not I dont know, but its funny how things stick in your mind?

Kev I used to watch them spawning when I worked for the E.A. As the others have said average size, but looking at the marks on its head, probably been had by a comrant and dropped. Dirty buggers will often throw up their last meal to make themselves lighter for a fast getaway.

Ade

I never knew they get to that size, they truly are ugly buggers!

Quote Originally Posted by roverman View Post
    and I was told by the old bloke I was fishing with that the queen gets a lamprey pie delivered to the palace every year,
    Now weather that is true or not I dont know, but its funny how things stick in your mind?
    I seem to recall the people of Gloucester send a Lamprey pie to the reigning monarch on their coronation and jubilee year. I believe they sent one in 1977 and again this year. They traditionally got their lampreys from the Severn but this year they had to get their lampreys from Canada as its endangered and/ or protected over here now

One of the elver men on the severn showed me one like that last spring. they were stuck onto a weir, amazing suction with the power of the water running over them.