Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lightweight shell type jacket

lightweight shell type jacket

hi lads I was just wondering what you guys were using in the way of a lightweight jacket thats rainproof but light enough to stuff in a pack, basically looking for something while stalking in warm weather in case theres a rainstorm? I was looking at the montane extreme jacket but it looks like it would be a bit warm

thanks in advance,
    jim

Take a look at the German Flecktarn mil surplus GoreTex jackets - you can usually get them for around 15 and they pack down into their own hood, in fact smaller if you put a bit of effort in. Their sizing tends to be a bit tight though so be careful of that. Great value, ideal for your purpose and the price is right.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Take a look at the German Flecktarn mil surplus GoreTex jackets - you can usually get them for around 15 and they pack down into their own hood, in fact smaller if you put a bit of effort in. Their sizing tends to be a bit tight though so be careful of that. Great value, ideal for your purpose and the price is right.
    thanks for the heads up are they waterproof?

Jim I have a lot of Montane kit including an Atomic Jacket,it is popular kit with fell runners. However I use a Country Covers lightweight Jacket for summer stalking, while it is not perfectly quiet it is quieter than the Montane gear.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    thanks for the heads up are they waterproof?
    Yeah, they are GoreTex so just the same waterproof lining as the more expensive jackets.

If you want to go the whole hog buy a windproof smock and wash some nikwax waterproofing into it and it will be shower proof - wear it as your stalking smock and if it gets really wet put the flecktarn jacket on UNDER it. That way you keep all your pockets and their contents but are still totally waterproof. I know it sounds a bit strange but give it a try and see if it works for you - you can get the windproof smocks mil surplus for around 10.

I do have Mustos and other expensive jackets but this is the system I use for my stalking.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

The Montane, although a superb jacket, will be far far too warm for these occasions, it really is a cold weather jacket. I love mine, and it is my jacket of choice for many things, but it doesnt see the light of day at this time of year.

Yesterday I went on a mission to find exactly what you are looking for, for myself. And to look at 1 make in particular Stoney Creek. Bushwear stock 2 the Tarn and the Long bush coat. The tarn is exactly what I (we) are looking for but a bit noisey for me so I have opted for the Long Bush a fleece type fabric. Unfortunately I need a 3xl to allow a bit movement so I ordered 1, it has to come from N/Z and will take a few weeks to arrive. I do think it'll be worth the wait, and the wife is treating me by buying it for our anniversary.

Nutty

hmm choices choices... lol how breathable is the ridgeline monsoon smock??

thanks lads ive picked up a flecktarn and to be doubly sure im going to nikwax it thanks again for the replies

Search for the Lowlander jackets at Swillingtons - very good indeed.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.