The day has arrived..

nuttyspaniel

I picked up my Wssm last week, its been lovingly stored in the cabinet waiting on today to arrive. The ingrediants are IMR 4007ssc, 90grn noslers, fed match primers and winchester brass. Im planning to work up from 41.5grns (hodgdons data). Lets see if myself and Tahr can get it to shoot. Ill post up the results tonight or tomorrow morn.

Nutty

To say Im chuffed is an understatement. After double and treble checking various data we worked load up from 40grns. The 1st batch gave me a 1" group, 40.5 grn gave a 3/4" group I shot 4 shots is this string as I wasnt happy with the 1st shot then made a mess of the 4th shot, then 41grn shot a 1/2" group which tahr shot. I was happy with my second group and decided to go with that load. Tahr then had a shot with the 41grn loads as he wanted a shot himself. Both of us had a shot which could best be described as pulled!! looking through the scope it was only the thickness of the cross hair away from the grouping but closer inspection of the target showed otherwise. The trigger is a tad too heavy also which didnt help, but that is being rectified with a timney trigger spring kit.

Ingredients and ready for the off.

20120630_164035.jpg

The 2 groups. Mine is at the bull.

20120630_1943553.jpg

Tahr's group.

20120630_1944112.jpg

Nutty

She sure is a shooter John, the rifle is brand new, possibly almost unfired, Put a few photos of it on here for the lads to look at, it just shows if you are in the right place at the right time what can be found. The scope is a cracking scope for stalking, and it tracked perfectly. I am sure with more mag’ and finer crosshairs we could do a bit of work and get the groups smaller still, but what’s the point? it will kill deer and foxes now at any sensible range.

Short and fat is where it’s at.:D:love:

ATB

Tahr

Hi Nuttyspaniel, well done with the new rifle, i see you have played with different powder charges but have you measured and played with different seating depths as this is where you will really see it shine.

She sure is a shooter John, the rifle is brand new, possibly almost unfired, Put a few photos of it on here for the lads to look at, it just shows if you are in the right place at the right time what can be found. The scope is a cracking scope for stalking, and it tracked perfectly. I am sure with more mag’ and finer crosshairs we could do a bit of work and get the groups smaller still, but what’s the point? it will kill deer and foxes now at any sensible range.

Very true...

Short and fat is where it’s at.:D:love:

Just like me...

ATB

Tahr

Nutty

Hi Nuttyspaniel, well done with the new rifle, i see you have played with different powder charges but have you measured and played with different seating depths as this is where you will really see it shine.

Cheers no I havnt played with different seating depths. With the A-bolt wssm there isnt much room in the mag to play with. The complete round is 2.3" and that just fits into the mag. Im happy with where Im at with the 41grn powder charge and I believe once Ive done the trigger spring the group will tighten up. The trigger is crisp but as with all american rifles too heavy.

cheers
nutty

Bargain bud. If your struggling for a spring I have the heavier of the 2 pack timney kit somewhere. I have also been told a cut down Parker pen spring works a charm and is cheaper!

Bargain bud. If your struggling for a spring I have the heavier of the 2 pack timney kit somewhere. I have also been told a cut down Parker pen spring works a charm and is cheaper!

Got a the springs for £20 just waiting for them to arrive.

I forgot to ask what velocity are you achieving. It would be nice to see the difference between the wssm and standard .243

Thats the next job, I havnt chronoed it yet as I like to fire 3 shots through and take an average.

Cheers
nutty

Hi Dave

I don’t know what Nuttys WSSM is knocking them out at. But as a comparison my 243 WSSM will push a 100gn bullet at 3200fps, although best accuracy is around 3100, as a comparison my old 243Win Tikka could just brake 3000fps from a 22” barrel. In my mind the real advantage is that I can run 2 to3” less barrel than a stand 243 and remain big deer legal, you also save ½ inch less on the action side.

I don’t think running an exotic like the WSSM is for everybody,but I have found no disadvantages over the standard 243w as I home load. I would say that if you were being sensible a 243AI would do what a WSSM will.

ATB

Tahr

Last edited:
Back