Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: More about tracking without blood

More about tracking without blood

A recent WuH (the German Shooting Times) 5 page magazine article discusses the best way to train a deerdog as opposed to a scenthound.

The article refers to not only the usual experts (Borngraeber & Muller) but also to a recently completed thesis on tracking by Donat.

The conclusions are interesting:

1 Using blood on trails is of more use for the handler than for the dog.

2 The dog tracks: A soil changes caused by the cloves B scent from broken plants C scent caused by the layer of the trail D Scent caused by the bacterial working on the broken plants.

The end result is that the experts backed up by professionals who track 130-450 animals per year conclude that the tracking shoe without using blood is the 2nd best way to teach a dog.The best being the training on the track of a live unwounded deer.

But it is not only in the UK that it is difficult to change ingrained ideas. A recent meeting in Germany of the Federation of Shooting Dog Societies nothwithstanding being faced with this evidence accepted a resolution that said A blood must be used for trials and B Tracking Shoes cannot be used.

I am looking forward to see my German tracking friends later this year. Guess they will be a bit touchy on this!

Interesting Baron.

Happy I have been doing things the right way so far then.

She has had a few on live deer up to about 400m and the scent shoes will be used shortly...

A walk to the church is always better,interesting
    I suppose the beauty with scent shoes is that there is always going to be a track and not so time consuming as a walk to the church
    As for blood having to be used,ring,ring round 6

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Isn't it that what i showed during your short stay here , how far did we go , how was the reaction of that pup ?
    Very simple the deer will make the trail for you , you've got only to follow , and head up , deer in front , it is later the time to let the dog free and go for "hetse ".

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Isn't it that what i showed during your short stay here , how far did we go , how was the reaction of that pup ?
    Very simple the deer will make the trail for you , you've got only to follow , and head up , deer in front , it is later the time to let the dog free and go for "hetse ".
    Yes you did Rudi. pup would have only been about 5 months old and tracked that roe through the wood and across the road! very simple and makes perfect sense. All you need to train, is a deer to leave a track. Whisky does it well.

She had a good start in life though Rudi!
    Last edited by jamross65; 30-06-2012 at 12:48.

Good one Baron and the reason why i sold all the blood in my freezer lol. But i am of the opinion that you cannot beat the real deal as it can never be duplicated fully. The more deer you shoot the better your dog will get good at problem solving.Something that can never be fully covered by a man laid track .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Good one Baron and the reason why i sold all the blood in my freezer lol. But i am of the opinion that you cannot beat the real deal as it can never be duplicated fully. The more deer you shoot the better your dog will get good at problem solving.Something that can never be fully covered by a man laid track .
    That is why the experts decided that teaching the dog to follow the track of an unwounded deer is even better than the tracking shoe.
    That way there is only natural scent.

Baron if my dog starts to follow an unwounded deer she is discouraged away and shown my disappointment. She is only allowed to follow deer that have been hit with the rifle or injured in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Baron if my dog starts to follow an unwounded deer she is discouraged away and shown my disappointment. She is only allowed to follow deer that have been hit with the rifle or injured in some way.
    Am a bit puzzled by this.

Obviously your hound should not follow an unwounded deer unless you ask her to. They can be followed for training.

I take it that if you have a wounded deer you bring your dog to the shotplace after you have investigated it and work out the trail with her on a long lead. If she then crosses over to the track of a live deer you should bring her back to the original trail.

The PhD study I sited above also indicated that from the dogs point of view it makes no difference if she tracks 4 or say 10 hours later. thus you can avoid ther heat of the summer (very important this year) and track in the evening.

Baron if i hit a deer and there is no blood or no sign of the strike as happens all the time then i need a dog to follow the deer that has been hit not the ones that were with her/him. Some times just to give you piece of mind you will let your dog run on a deer that has been missed but you want to be positive, the shot site after traveling over rough ground for say a hundred mtr is not possible. simple let the dog off if she follows then you know you have hit the deer if she follows for a shot while and comes back you know you have not and all is well. This can only be done with a dog that is discouraged from following un shot deer or uninjured deer. For me its a big no no.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 09-07-2012 at 09:24.