Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab puppy tracking training (when)

Lab puppy tracking training (when)

Right lads, put a post up last week about my new lab pup i got. His natural retrieving instinct is great but just wondering if i should keep consintrating on that or would it be fine to ad some small trails for him to track and what would be best to use. i would like him to be a good alrounder thats why i would like to do a bit tracking with him. i should mention that everything is just play at this stage and will be for a few months. Thanks
    FS25

Personally, I'd train him only to work as a Labrador does until he's a bit older. I'm assuming that most of his work will be on birds? If you take him out for deer in his first eighteen months, I'd be inclined to only use the experience for steadiness training and heel work etc. I think you'd probably struggle to train him to do both jobs at the same time and ive heard that training a dog to deer can make them quite sharp and possibly hard mouthed. So that is why I'd go for normal lab training first and then onto deer stuff. At least it'll be good at one job rather than risking it being poor at both! Hope that makes sense.

A lab should have the instinct to retrieve all day every day.Dont bore it with anymore.Get him walking to heel,sitting and staying,much more important than retrieving!
    If your using him to deer,get him tracking now!Short and easy and then build it all up.
    Don't ever train on birds first if your using him for deer.
    If trained to deer first your dog will be steadier on every other type of game as a result.
    What lines is your dog off of?
    PM me if you want a chat

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Don't ever train on birds first if your using him for deer.
    If trained to deer first your dog will be steadier on every other type of game as a result.
    Is that true? I've never trained a dog to track deer, So I'm just commenting on what I've heard.

I suppose tracking training is just an extension of training to find runners. It'll never lose a bird if it can track a deer!
    Would you train it to take down wounded deer before training it to retrieve warm game??

I'd train it fully to deer first,so yes.
    Be a better and steadier dog as a result.
    If dog pulls down wounded deer always stalk into next one,watching dog like a hawk and sit him whilst you pick up the deer,like retrieving!Not every deer is for the dog.
    If a dog tracks deer they are much better on birds as a result.
    If you train to birds first,dog will indicate birds more than deer.
    Some people can do it the other way round but I feel it's better for the dog and easier for you if done deer first then birds,rabbits or hare.
    If steady to deer it will be steady to everything else,dogs love deer so if you can steady them to that everything else becomes easy.
    Warm game,eg pheasant will come naturally for a lab whereas not every one will love deer,at least you'll know whether it likes deer or not early on then concentrate fully on birds.
    If tracking training done correctly no reason why they won't love it.
    All my labs do mainly if not only deer now,don't shoot birds apart from the odd duck which they don't crunch,however a wounded roe they will despatch by grabbing the throat

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    Is that true? I've never trained a dog to track deer, So I'm just commenting on what I've heard.
    best bit of advice in training dogs I was given
    was go on what you hav experienced, than just rumours
    so on that I would train for deer first then go to game
    but retreiving can be done from day dot
    wot Wolverine does not know about using Labs for deer is not really worth worying about, That I do belive in

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    wot Wolverine does not know about using Labs for deer is not really worth worying about, That I do belive in
    Always concentrate on a dogs weak points to get those points better,retrieving as you know Stone is intrinsic in the make up of labs,if a lab don't retrieve there's major problems!
    Other bit of your post makes meAlways keep an open mind,every dog is different and each one learns me something new

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    I have experienced 'sharp' Labradors that were deer dogs and weren't any good with birds. I don't know if that was poor training or no training, but I attributed it (rightly or wrongly) to the deer training.

my old lab started tracking deer first and had to hold the second one , i thought he may be hard on pheasants after that but hes okay

can anyone recommend me a good book or instructional video for training dogs to track and despatch deer, etc.?

whilst I have a number of years ago trained my now older lab, I would love to do a 'better' job on my new pup, now 18 weeks (I think!).

or if anyone has any materials one could borrow for the summer months, that would be even better.

either way, thoughts are all appreciated.

regards,

PKL