Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dsc 2,too early??

Dsc 2,too early??

Ok,having viewed the recent posts about DSC 2 in two days etc which seems to get the old passions raised!!I am a novice stalker,less than a years experience,passed my DSC 1 a year ago,am registered for level 2,should i be pushing on to get level 2 done?I can see the argument both ways that I am inexperienced etc but also see real benefits of having it ie opening up more opportunities to stalk etc etc......I am more than happy with the gralloch side of things having a slaughtering backround, fieldcraft comes in the form of many years of stalking rabbits and foxes etc,what would you do or have you done??thanks,martin

any practice as assessment or training can only help prepare you and push you forward, practice makes perfect and all that

Martin

You've noticed a bit of 'heat' around the DSC1 and 2 topics then?

In truth, it is something under constant review within DMQ as well. I'm not sure there is an ideal answer - and certainly believe a one size fits all solution is never very effective.

You have registered so have your portfolio and the various advice notes, portfolio etc. Re-read those and look carefully through each of the performance criteria on an ICR. For belt and braces consider some of the additional questions an AW could ask you. If you are comfortable with every aspect and confident of correctly answering additional questioning - then you are ready.

The Portfolio is the definitive source of supporting information for assessment of part 2. Meeting the criteria contained within it is what is required. There is a certain sector that seems to be arguing for PCs beyond that laid down in the ICRs - arguably a Super DSC2 I suppose. I can only attribute that to the old chestnut of redoubling effort after losing sight of one's objective! The Portfolio, the ICRs and the PCs are what they are. It is not a graded assessment - you either meet them or not at the time of Assessment.

There will be good, bad and indifferent grades so to speak - but all measured having met that base line criteria. Thats the scheme as it is.

Comes down to the individual to weigh up their circumstances.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

thanks for the responses,think i will crack on and get on with the job.............

Let us know how it goes - not just the result, but how it shaped up as compared to what you thought it was going to be - if you don't mind doing so.

Good luck!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I found that each witness or stalker I went out with had a slightly different approach, and I picked out the methods that I felt suited me better.
    So for me personally I benefitted a great deal from trying to complete each ICR with a different witness, on different types of ground and in different weather conditions.

Hi Martin,

If you feel you're ready just get on and do it. With your background in slaughtering, and experience in stalking, there's no reason why you should have any trouble there. Presumably you have the list of AWs, so its up to you to choose whoever you feel is going to give you the best deal.

If we can help in any way, please do get in touch. You may be interested in our DSCL2 Initiative.

Best regards and good luck.

According to the DMQ assessors, showing competence in the stalking, safe weapon handling and also shot placement and understanding reaction to shot, are all just as important for completion of the PCs as the gralloch and carcass inspection. That said, if you find a good AW they will be fair and if you don't meet the criteria should offer training but PCs would have to be postponed for this to be above board with DMQ.

As for the question on whether you are ready or not. I think it all depends on how much you have been out on the ground over the past year and how many deer you have actually stalked, shot and processed. The DMQ 2 is not for further training it is to prove your competence. So you have either built up sufficient experience to do this or you haven't. If you have watched the procedure info CD and looked through the PCs and are still not sure then you could always talk it through with and AW before hand and even go out on a stalk with one?
    Last edited by Tackleberry270; 30-06-2012 at 16:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    According to the DMQ assessors, showing competence in the stalking, safe weapon handling and also shot placement and understanding reaction to shot, are all just as important for completion of the PCs as the gralloch and carcass inspection. That said, if you find a good AW they will be fair and if you don't meet the criteria should offer training but PCs would have to be postponed for this to be above board with DMQ.

As for the question on whether you are ready or not. I think it all depends on how much you have been out on the ground over the past year and how many deer you have actually stalked, shot and processed. The DMQ 2 is not for further training it is to prove your competence. So you have either built up sufficient experience to do this or you haven't. If you have watched the procedure info CD and looked through the PCs and are still not sure then you could always talk it through with and AW before hand and even go out on a stalk with one?
    a very good response.

If you feel ready and experienced enough contact an AW and go out for a stalk to see how you get on.

I once witnessed a candidate who completed all 3 ICR's for DSC2 on the same weekend as he did his DSC1 and before he passed the DSC1 assessments!

There are no minimum numbers of animals or minimum time allowed before you can undertake DSC2 so long as you achieve the performance criteria then the AW MUST sign it off. This goes for if you only complete part of an ICR for example if you go out for a stalk but do not cull an animal Element 1 with the exception of PC 1.5 can all be signed off if the AW will not sign it off get him to put the reasons in writing and if you are not happy then use the DMQ complaints proceedure. If the reason given is because you have not culled an animal then the AW is in the wrong.