Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trespassers

Trespassers

I have the stalking on a large Midlands estate. Over the last few years I have encountered growing numbers of dog walkers, ramblers, twitchers, picnickers and the like roaming where they shouldn't. This is even more noticable this year as we enter the summer months. Obviously this is of great concern to me both from a safety point and also because it almost always leads to a ruined stalk. I usually approach these trespassers and open a conversation with "Have you lost your way?" Most parties when approached and the situation explained are happy to leave the area or return to a public footpath without question. However, there are also more obstinate types who would rather argue that they are doing no wrong and carry on regardless. As I am the one carrying a firearm I am always aware that it is best to act prudently and not leave myself open to false accusations after a heated argument. Therefore I explain my reasons for requesting them to vacate the area as calmly and sensibly as I can. If this does not work I usually give it up as a bad job and if still time move to another part of the estate. I would be interested to hear other comments or advice from other stalkers on this matter.

I also come across them from time to time, very annoying and mostly twitchers or lazy sods that wont walk round the paths - most move along quietly. Have had a couple use the 'right to roam' argument.............in England.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Hi mate not a stalker bu i do get about a fair bit on the farm i work, we have a large US base near us and we used to get all sorts of idiots just do as they liked and stomp across the fields to watch the planes take of.

one evening i was out with the shotgun and some partridge went up i had a crack at them then heard a load of shouting and 3 plane spotters came out of the tree's and they left a bloody gate open i was not diplomatic and called the police there could have been a death, and even though i was stood there with the shotgun they still wanted a fight.

paul
    I have guns because i love shooting, what i hate is red tape and been screwed by a Dishonest Government.

I've got trespassers putting snares out for what appears to be deer. I have a HD trail cam near to the area where the snares were found in hope to see who they are

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I feel very sad that I am going to say what I have to say, but having been accused of assault 2x in similar situations to yours I would say do not approach anyone no matter where they are and especially if you are carrying a weapon. You will no doubt have a visit from your local PC one day saying you have been accused of assault as the person approached felt very threatened and even more so that you had a rifle on you. The sad part is that you would be better off if they have messed up your stalk to discharge your firearm (safely). This will at least give them a shock so as they may not return to that particular part of the wood again. I stress that this is not something that I would have ever considered doing before the accusations made towards me, but my opinion now is just don't go near anyone. Your on a greater legal footing saying you missed then if they approach you, don't say anything and walk off.
    Once again it makes me sad that this is the world we live in.
    Last edited by teyhan1; 30-06-2012 at 20:58.

talk it over with the landowner , get the council to mark the paths better , buy some markers and knock a post in within sight of the last one , paint it white and fix your way marker , go to the next parish council meeting and bring it up under any other issues and get them to put it in their next magazine even if they dont at keast your concerns will be noted in the minutes . Approach the local bobby and discuss it with him so at least your side is put forward first . Ive found that if something dies near regular picnic sights people move on

Hence why I opt for a swift gralloch,I always unload rifle and mag goes in my pocket.there is way to many walkers ramblers etc out where they're not ment to be,I've had many a ruined stalks,most of joe public are not aware of the dangers

Do you put out any signs to say stalking is in progress?
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

i blame the spring watch type programs "so get out in the countryside and hve a look this weekend" tripe . Just try walking a terrier and carrying a shovel

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1372 View Post
    Do you put out any signs to say stalking is in progress?
    Only if you don't mind getting your car keyed. They soon work out which one it is, if every time a sign appears your car is there!