Section 1 Shotgun Magazine Extensions

Small point there ytene, does it have to be by a professional gunsmith or simply to the accepted standard?

I guess that if the work was carried out by a professional engineer etc and met the standard approved by the Proof House then that would be fine,the term gunsmith relates to the normal avenue of the industry accepted standards.......

The reason I asked was because when the restrictions on magazine capacity first came in several of my friends carried out the work themselves which incidentally is very quick and easy using a pipe cutter to simply crimp the tube, and than submitted their guns to the proof house. I also know that it is possible to deactivate a gun yourself to the accepted standard and submit that for confirmation of deactiavation by the proof house. Thus I believe it is not necessary to be a professional gunsmith.

I bought my Remington 1187 as a 2+1 on the basis of getting it converted
All I had done to it was get the crimp smoothed out to turn it into a 4+1
Done by a competent retired gunsmith with No proofing required ,
This was then added to my FAC by my FEO after he gave the retired smith the go ahead to complete the work( cost £15 for the work )
From there I purchased a revolving 19 shot mag extension that did not hav to be put on my FAC
Don't hav the mag extension any more , as it was to heavy for my needs and to expensive to run, thou fun at the time
From my understanding and dealings with it
I did not need the mag extension added to FAC or proofing to screw it on in place either
Also did not need the original mag proofing after the crimp was straightened out
Only my licence needed to be ammended and the shotgun entered onto the FAC no need for RFD transaction as I already owned the shotgun on my S2 and my FEO had the details already which he duly transferred during the variation procedure
Seemed very simple & uncomplicated Procedure at the time
I was also led to believe by my FEO this would be the same if I wanted to reverse the situ

Last edited:
With respect Stone your situation as described were past tense,the OP was a heads up,one or two idiots have been caught over capacity and this has brought it to the fore ,this was from a very well known RFD.......

With respect Stone your situation as described were past tense,the OP was a heads up,one or two idiots have been caught over capacity and this has brought it to the fore ,this was from a very well known RFD.......
I appreciate that,
but also I am looking at doing the same again in the very near future and it seems that it will be practically the same as I hav posted
I suppose when it comes to fruition It may well cause a few issues for those that are not quite in keeping with the current legislations, but as you mention it is RFD's at the root of it, hopefully they will not allow customers to fall fowl from it
so yes a good heads up for those looking to go down this route , so they need to check and make sure all is as it should be

Stone
There is Still no need for a RFD to do the conversion work to a s1 to a s2 or vice-a-versa all you have to do is either put the new section 1 firearm on your own fac and inform you FLO or if it is to turn a s1 shotgun back to s2 you send the gun to a proof house they will stamp the tube and give you a certificate of proof and then all you have to do is transfer you gun from your firearm certificate and on to your shotgun cert and inform the police of the change ."Easy-peasy"

Bob

Back