Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An avenue into Defence deer management

An avenue into Defence deer management

I am currently serving in the Royal Marines commandos. I have been enjoying roe and red stalking for about ten years, however I would like to try and aquire more land to stalk on. As I live near Salisbury plain I have been talking to the range staff and apparently you can apply to join part of a defence estate management plan.

I was just putting it out there to ask if anybody has any contact
    Detail because I am
    Having difficulty in finding out who to talk to.

I am trying to find out myself, I know someone who works in mod land . Hoping to get more information off him. Will let u know of I find out anything. Will have to get my mod certificate done though

Hi Try EMcC, I think he knows all about this stuff.

Regards,

Check out the Report from the Services Branch BDS in the Summer 2012 edition of the BDS Deer Journal, which has the DDM Secretary's contact details etc.

I looked it to it when i was still serving and one of the stipulations was that you needed to have more than 3 years left to serve.

Daz
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Used to be an ex army guy called Merrick doing the forces range deer management but that may have changed.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I think you will have more joy doing the lottery,

speak to eddy Mc on here, he was doing it for years, and now the rules and goal posts have moved a fare bit since he left,

i was going to try and see what chance there was of doing it when i first got posted to Tidworth,

NEVER MIND DEER STALKING , back in 85 just to have a shoot with shotguns you needed to have 6 guns and be able to jump through loops at various heights and know the Queen in person, drive a Range rover have a pinky ring jack Russel and speak with your Balls in your mouth to even got on the plain,(EVEN THEN YOU COULD HAVE A 6 MONTH WAIT TILL YOU GOT ON,)

sour grapes : your dead right.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    You'll have about an 18 month wait down in that area 35% of HM The Queens forces are in and around that area.

You also need to have 5 years or more service left. Once you have entered the DDM System, you will need to get trained to an above higher than DSC L2, involving a portfolio and Complete DSC L2 before being alowed to stalk, let alone, stalk alone.

If you have the time left to serve and are prepaired to do the training, you will eventually get to stalk on some in the best locations in UK, some easy, some very demanding.

TJ

(I'm not in the DDM, before you ask, I'd contact via the DDM Sec, listed in the BDS Mag)
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    You'll have about an 18 month wait down in that area 35% of HM The Queens forces are in and around that area.

You also need to have 5 years or more service left. Once you have entered the DDM System, you will need to get trained to an above higher than DSC L2, involving a portfolio and Complete DSC L2 before being alowed to stalk, let alone, stalk alone.

If you have the time left to serve and are prepaired to do the training, you will eventually get to stalk on some in the best locations in UK, some easy, some very demanding.

TJ

(I'm not in the DDM, before you ask, I'd contact via the DDM Sec, listed in the BDS Mag)
    Further to TJ above discription the paperwork is like doing a level two every time you shoot someting ,if it wasnt restricted id post a copy of it up for all to see .