Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Le Chameau Mouflon Plus Review

Le Chameau Mouflon Plus Review

A good comfortable boot but that's all i can say as i wore them for stalking last week i thought i have a wet foot no it cant be i said how wrong i was.i purchased the boots last year and they are not a year old. i have worn them a maximum of 30 times i work on a grouse moor so they did get some stick this year and the heather tends to strip the polish off anything. After stalking i put my boots in a bag int the car and when i got home i let them air dry for a couple of days and bang them off to clean them. after that i usually use saddle soap or dubbing to help them. AS said in this quote from there web site

"Leather walking boots
    Leather boots should be cleaned if dirty, preferably with lukewarm or cold water. They should then be left to dry away from any heat sources (away from radiators and not left in drying rooms etc). Once dry, it is a good idea to use a Nikwax leather boot proof (liquid or wax) to replenish the leather's natural water-repellency. Dependant upon wear, it's a good idea to polish the boot with a boot conditioner every few months/a couple of times a year - this keeps the leather nice and supple (but not too often as it can also make the leather too soft)."

OK SO FAR EVERTING IS IN LINE WITH THE WARRENTY
    there is however a small seam on the boot on both boots on the instep of the boot were your big toe ball joint moves the seam on the right foot has given completely and the one on the left is well worn.

thus i am getting a wet foot NOT HAPPY 239.00 boots should last more than 11 months. so i rang the supplier of the boots who said if you get them in to us this morning the rep from Le shambles is here to day i will give them to him so i did.

the rep took one look and said i had under fed the leather and that's why the seam had worn. he said i had to send them back to Le shambles HQ and they would probably say the same. i think this is a disgrace have any of you had any problems with these boots.

i have a week on the bucks next week and no boots will have to dig out my old Altbergs though they are three years old.

OK that's me rant over

thanks

I had a pair of Mouflon when they first came out...and thank heavens they wore out quickly, they were bloody awful.

Although the 'new' Mouflons are meant to be better (as in more durable and less likely to fall apart), I wouldn't buy boots from a company that made its name producing wellies. Sure, they look good and some people love them, but I'd rather spend my money on Meindls. I've hammered mine for the last few years and have yet to have wet feet (and that includes wading through burns last week).

I have a pair and must admit i am not overly impressed. I do a fair bit of woodland stalking and find the sole is to hard ( cant feel sticks etc ) and no matter what i do i cant stop the damn laces squeaking on the leather.
    I am partially deaf and if i can hear them im sure the deer can. They are comfy to walk in and mine are still waterproof but will look for something different when i replace them.

I have a pair that I got off Fleabay for 62 brand new - Bargain!
    Do I wear them? No, they are *****!!
    They sqeak more than my Buttollo, very narrow fitting and very hot feet even in winter. Tried feeding the leather to make it supple and less sqeaky to no avail
    Glad I didn't pay full price for them!

As said on another thread get yourself a good pair of 4 season mountain boots made from one piece of leather - generally Austrian or Italian - ie Meindl r Scarpa. My Manta's are ten years old and worn most wekends on Scottish mountains - feet stay warm and dry. I would n't buy a pair of soft "hunting boots" - may be OK for pottering around the woods or on a driven day, but wn't stand up to tough use.

Saying that if the ground is really wet and boggy, neoprene lined wellies with a decent sole are the way to go, if the ground is not too extreme.

[quote
    Saying that if the ground is really wet and boggy, neoprene lined wellies with a decent sole are the way to go, if the ground is not too extreme.[/quote]
    Despite my above thread slating the Mouflons, I also use a pair of Le Chameau 'Vieznord' Wellies which are the Neoprene lined ones. I use these most days and wouldn't be without them. Excellent wellies!

I have a pair of moulfons and can't fault them.
    I terat them as per factory recomendations.
    To stop the thing squeeking treat the laces with 'nix wax' by pulling them through your fingers with wax on them.

Just my opinion on these. I bought a piar of churuku( spelling?)Hunter. Crap. they let in water the first time out and would not air try after a week, they went back got another pair under warranty the seam on the tongue fell appart after trying them on.

I have one word to say about boots - Meindl.

243varmint Wrote
    Just my opinion on these. I bought a piar of churuku( spelling?)Hunter. Crap. they let in water the first time out and would not air try after a week, they went back got another pair under warranty the seam on the tongue fell appart after trying them on.
    Don't even mention Chiruca. I sold a pair of Scandiavias to a local stalker (had to order them in specially) and they fell apart before the season was out. I got myself a pair of Torcaz at the same time...quite simply awful. The insoles rucked up, the leak like a sieve despite having Goretex, just awful.