Deet insect repellant?

wildfowler.250

I know someone who is going off to Russia and is wondering how safe is the above stuff is to use? I've heard it melts plastic?? Does it work well?

I've looked through some old posts and some people have suggested jungle juice extra strength instead? Anyone know who sells this?

Thanks in advance!

It does melt plastic if repellant contains a high amount deet but try your local poundshop it contains 30%deet it comes as a roll on or as wipes its very good stuff hope that helps
Baz

Try Repel 100, its 95% Deet, you can go for the weaker option of Repel 55.

A pal of mine has a pair of Swarovskis with melted eye cups from Deet repellents.

I can confirm that the strong stuff will melt/glue Clansman headset earphones to your head on a semi-permanent basis. Glyn.

we use it all the time when working in the woods, It does melt plastic, but it does work. I find the 55% stuff works ok.

Deet also throws up a positive for Cocaine on the scanners in use in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Singapore and the worlds largest user of the death penalty for drug possesion, Indonesia.

Also Manchester.

Stan

Last edited:
Vitamin B1

fotolia_9614213_XS.jpg
Photo Credit close up on a mosquito image by Stephen Gibson from Fotolia.com Vitamin B1 is also called thiamine. It is a water-soluble vitamin that participates in many of the chemical reactions in the body. If you ingest more vitamin B1 than your body needs, the excess is excreted in urine and through the skin via perspiration. The fact that vitamin B1 is eliminated by the skin that gives it the potential to deter mosquitoes. Especially if you dislike commercial mosquito repellents, thiamine may be worth a try.
Vitamin B1 Metabolism

Because of its water solubility vitamin, B1 is not stored very well by your body. Therefore, you need to consume this nutrient on a daily basis, either in your diet or in the form of a supplement. Thiamine is absorbed from the upper and lower parts of the small intestine, and excess is excreted in your urine or through your skin when you sweat. Sweating out excess thiamine through the skin may offer some protection against mosquitoes and other insects.
Insect Repellent Patches Natural, Effective, Easy To Use Say Goodbye To Holiday Bites www.naturalpatches.eu
Sponsored Links

Mosquito Repellent

To benefit from thiamine's mosquito repelling action, higher doses must be consumed to ensure that there will be excessive amounts to eliminate through the skin. Doses of 50 to 100 mg per day are needed, notes Elson Haas, M.D., in his book "Staying Healthy with Nutrition." At this daily dosage, you will not be one of those people who has "sweet blood" and who seems to attract all the mosquitoes.
High Doses Are Not Problematic

Because vitamin B1 is water soluble and not stored to any great extent, any excess is eliminated. Therefore, even at high doses, thiamine is safe. In fact, MedlinePlus notes that no known poisoning is linked to vitamin B1. Your body knows how to take the vitamin B1 it needs for optimal function and get rid of the rest. High doses of vitamin B1 are also used to ease stress, relax tense muscles, treat diarrhea, decrease fever, reduce infection, ease cramps and treat headaches, notes Elson.
More Research Needed

The University of Wisconsin reported that studies that examine vitamin B and its mosquito-repelling potential do not support claims that vitamin B is an effective mosquito repellent. However, these studies took place in a laboratory, and no studies, to date, have been conducted in a natural setting. More research is needed to validate the usefulness of vitamin B1 as mosquito repellent. Even so, if you are plagued by those pesky critters and they drive you crazy, it may be worthwhile to try a daily vitamin B1 supplement at the dosage recommended above. Because there are no risks of toxicity with vitamin B1, you have nothing to lose.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/440865-vitamin-b1-as-a-mosquito-repellent/#ixzz1zPrK8smD

DEET is good stuff as said dont use on plastics or have long term exposure ,try it in conjunction with Vitamin B1 , i had great success several yrs ago travelling through SE Asia , mosi and insect bites dropped to almost nil . a bit of a down side is your pee & sweat are a bit more pungent

Wildfowler.250

My mate spent six hours being grilled by Customs last year at Manchester. He didn't find it funny after a long trip back from diving in Caribean. Everything in his case was testing positive for cocaine. Eventually they took a sample from the bottle of Deet and it maxed out the reading.

Stan

I seem to present a target like a ripe peach to most biting insects.
Back of my head was stripped to the bone whilst out last night!

need to get something as most of the Boot's favourites are crap!

The various DEET formulas didn't work too well for me and I wasn't overly impressed by how nasty they are to plastic, fly lines and the like.

I've tried Smidge and posted a review here - basically it stops the midges biting but doesn't stop them swarming around your head and crawling all over you. My feeling is that for many people the annoyance is largely down to having the midges walking all over them and getting a nose and eyes full of them and Smidge does not, in my experience, solve this problem.

To date the only really effective solution I've found has been a head net.

Deet,
Melted the steering wheel and gear knob on the disco, took a while to work out what was dooing it!
DCG

Back