Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearms on planes?

Firearms on planes?

I'm looking at booking flights from ggow to Luton for stalking in November to save driving down. How easy is it to take firearms with you? Do you need specific cases for the rifles and ammo? Can you take ammo with you? Is there much extra cost?

Really appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

Tell the airline in advance, have your FAC with you when you travel, firearm and ammo must be in seperate hard lockable cases, some airlines will charge you extra, usually 30 ish. ATB

Wildfowler rather than ask on this site and get all sorts of misdirection be it well intentioned, why don't you simply look at which arlines fly this route and then ask them directly. That way you will have the information you require straight from the horse's mouth after all not all airlines will actually carry firearms so you could be wasting your time.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

We use easyjet all the time. Easy peasy. Make sure you get there early to get all the paperwork attended to, but, I say again, it's very simple.
    Any questions, pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    We use easyjet all the time. Easy peasy. Make sure you get there early to get all the paperwork attended to, but, I say again, it's very simple. Any questions, pm me.
    Agree with above 100% there is a charge but you are informed in advance when paying/booking your ticket so all settled and no dramas when checking in.

Thanks very much guys! Looks like I'll try and get easy jet!

What sort of cases for guns and ammo would you suggest? Will need something to take moderators ect ?

Cheers again for the help!

You'll definitely need a hard case for you rifle. Some dedicated cases cost an arm and a leg but I have seen some of those plastic/polythene type cases turning up at airports and have been quite acceptable, you may know the ones I mean, the type given to customers with shotguns. I saw some of the ones used for Steyr rifles on e bay the other day for 30. Whichever you get, they must be lockable, a couple of small padlocks is sufficient.
    The ammo can be put in a small metal cash box bought from Smiths or some other stationary shop and then put inside your hold luggage case. I have used a small red one for a few years now.

Wildfowler,
    I have travelled many times on aircraft both within the UK and internationally to the USA, and as goathunter states it is straightforward, just a few golden rules to stick to!
    A plastic case is OK flying within Europe but you need a metal framed or FAA plastic approved case (some Pelicases are approved) if you plan to travel to the USA in the future. Secondhand would be OK as they will get trashed by baggage handlers on your first trip! When I travelled within the UK with my shotgun, the Beretta case it came in with a huge padlock around the handle to prevent opening, was acceptable. I bought a shop-damaged double-rifle aluminium case which retailed at 150, they were selling at 60 so would be worth looking around.

1. Always phone your airline at least 72 hours in advance and it would be worthwhile speaking to or checking their website for procedure for transporting of firearms - some, such as BA, require you to tell them in advance of the calibre, make etc others you just turn up to check-in and complete the relevent forms;
    2. Arrive in plenty of time to check-in;
    3. Don't forget your FAC;
    4: I have never taken ammunition, I have always found it easier to obtain at my destination.
    5: BA charge 50 each way to handle the firearm, factor this in when choosing flights;
    6: I had my bolt removed in a separate small case within the main rifle case, also locked.

The above was all relevent and correct 6 months ago for both shotgun and rifle, things can have a habit of changing so always prudent to check and the airline is a good place to start.

Well said
    Get it from the horse's mouth rather than paying any heed to the blather on here
    Each airline has different rules, each squad of airline personnel interpret those rules differently
    Call the airline to find out their rules, call them again before you travel and leave plenty of time on the day you travel to deal with the poor sod who is handling firearms in luggage for the first time
    Otherwise it's simple
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Wildfowler rather than ask on this site and get all sorts of misdirection be it well intentioned, why don't you simply look at which arlines fly this route and then ask them directly. That way you will have the information you require straight from the horse's mouth after all not all airlines will actually carry firearms so you could be wasting your time.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

The info I gave was relevant flying with Easy Jet in January, the charge for the rifle was 25 each way.
    I had a Peli but I was accompanied by another guy that had a Plastic shotgun case with two small padlocks on it.