Thread: Recommended Reading

Recommended Reading

I am thinking about taking up reloading again - after about 35 years! - and I wonder if anyone can suggest a good book that might be worth a look?
    I used to use a Hand held press back in the day. It was green - either Lyman or Lee I think
    Are these simple loaders still available or even worthwhile?
    I intend to have a go at .357 Magnum again and possibly move onto a rifle round when I get a bit more comfortable with it all.
    Thanks
    Ed

Ed I'll jump in and suggest it before anyone else and say have a look at the Revised 2nd Edition of the Lee reloading manual. Not my favourite reloading manual but for about 20 you won't go far wrong with it.
    The press you previously had was probably a RCBS as that company favours the colour green on its equipment. Lyman used to be grey in colour but changed to orange many years ago, and Lee equipment is normally red in colour.

There is some very good information on the internet including videos put on by the various reloading companies, but be wary of some of the You Tube postings which seem to be posted by various fools and weirdos. A real useful source of information is the sticky posted by CSL at the top of the reloading section of this site. Alex has gone to a lot of trouble to produce that and has done a fantastic job of it but he has gone more than a little over the top as regards equipment. He just loves his toys.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks Mike
    I have had a bit of a look around the internet - as you point out there are loads from all sorts of sources
    There is a DVD advertised in Fleaby for a tenner I believe - not sure if it's worth it or not
    Anyway, off to have a look at the sticky you mentioned
    Thanks
    Ed

The Speer manual are good. Doesm't matter much which edition, prionciples remain the same.

Slightly off-thread. I've literally just taken delivery of my first reloading kit - hurrah. In it is the Speer re-loading manual, it states not to use any cases other than Winchester otherwise pressures can be increased. Is this just a marketing statement as they want you to use Winchester cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    Slightly off-thread. I've literally just taken delivery of my first reloading kit - hurrah. In it is the Speer re-loading manual, it states not to use any cases other than Winchester otherwise pressures can be increased. Is this just a marketing statement as they want you to use Winchester cases?
    Case volumes aren't consistent across makers. This is why mixed lots of cases can be a night mare. I have seen perfectly fine loads in Winchester cases flatten primers in Remington cases. They probably just decided to make up their loads on Winchester brass (unless it was a proprietary Remington offering?) and offered that warning.

Back to the topic. I'd go with the Lee 2nd Edition Revised as well. If you filter out the sales pitch, there is a heap of good info and formulas. I have crates of reloading books and I use this one the most.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    I used to use a Hand held press back in the day. It was green - either Lyman or Lee I think
    Are these simple loaders still available or even worthwhile?
    I started reloading using a Lee hand press, and it was my only press for a couple of years and a lot of rounds. It works very well, even full length sizing large rifle cases isn't difficult. .357 is very easy.

I still use it, and it forms part of a complete reloading kit which fits in a .50 ammo tin. Just chuck in the relevant dies and I have everything needed to reload, anywhere.

It is now made with a quick change bushing system, which you don't have to use, but if you buy a few more bushings for each of your dies it would speed up changes, and avoid the need to re-adjust them each time. The bushing system is also compatible with some other Lee bench presses.

Very useful for load development at a range, e.g. adjusting seating depth, experimenting with powder weight etc.

Thoroughly recommended, even if you intend to get a bench press too.

See http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html or http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press-kit.html