Thread: Scope covers what do you use, recommend?

Scope covers what do you use, recommend?

What is the best type of scope cover to use? I had a Butler Creek type which was ok most of the time although it soon had a habit of the objective end not closing very well. When I last went out both ends opened during a 100 yard crawl through 2 foot high heather. So when it came using the scope it had to be wiped with a tissue before I could see anything. Luckily the young buck being stalked had no idea we were there and was soon on the grass.
    Is there anything more durable on the market? I have looked at Leupold Alumina flip-back covers which retail at around 37 for each end. Are these any better and would they last longer than the Butler creek at around 10 for each end? The scope is a Swarovski 8 x 50. What do others use and is there anything better on the market?

I got fed up with the butler creeks breaking all the time so I just took the original bikini scope cover which came with my scope and cable tied it to the scope.

Works great
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

It's the original scope covers from swarovski for me also.. However if you are open hill stalking.. I always use the rifle case which is unzipped with the loaded rifle inside to push the rifle more freely along through the heather etc.. I have a really good quality case which slides well with minimal noise, there is a knack to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    I got fed up with the butler creeks breaking all the time so I just took the original bikini scope cover which came with my scope and cable tied it to the scope.

Works great
    +1. Although I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the Swarovski flip-covers to arrive that I ordered in early May. They had better be good as I'm convinced their cost has contributed to the current problems within the Eurozone and the general banking crisis.....

+ 1 with jonher, I think we have all got fed up with the poor quality of butler creek flip ups.
    Its a pity one of the manufacturers cant make/supply a decent flip up cover that is fit for purpose, and as virbius said does not break the bank or the heart when purchasing them.
    until somebody does, its 2 cable ties and bikini covers for me.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

The accucover is worth a look. My butler creeks have held up well so far. Noisy when opened some times. Check out gregloginway YouTube clip when a roe heard him open then and fecked off at pace.

On a 48 objective Doctor scope I use a German extension lead wet weather rubber flipup cover which is very similar to a butler but is an elastomer compound that is made to last, it cost me 6 euros for the whole unit and I can still use the basic electrical bit indoors.
    I bet they can be bought seperate also, just needs some quality fleabaying time.
    Martin

Used to have B&C before it snapped and now have a Hawke front flip up cap. Only about 7 and work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by webley22 View Post
    Used to have B&C before it snapped and now have a Hawke front flip up cap. Only about 7 and work fine.
    I now use the Hawkes at both ends - the clear see thru ones (not the yellow) so often there is no need to open them to take the shot.
    TonyC

I had a green push button accucover on my S&B PM II it worked great until the little button fell off! When open the cover can lay flat along the scope instead of sticking up like on a Butler Creek meaning it doesnt snag on anything as easily. I have emailed the info address on their website and got a email asking for my address with the promise to send a replacement bit. I sent it twice and a follow up to see if they got it but still have not had a bit or a reply. I liked it so much I was going to put them on all 5 of my rifles at a total cost of nearly 100 but if they can't stick to their word I think I'll give it a miss.

Rick