Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted downloadable target for ladder test at 300m

Wanted downloadable target for ladder test at 300m

As per the title, looking to do some load development and wonderd if anybody found a particular target more usefull than others to perform a ladder test at 300m, idealy a link to a downloadable target in a3 or a4 would be good.
    Thanks in advance.
    David

It depends on your ret, a 8x56 with a heavy ret will need a different target from something like a nightforce. loads of sites have downloadable targets, reloading and varmenting sites generally. printed off some a while ago but these days I tend to use a black marker pen on a blank piece of a4.

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

Heres a link to where I got mine from, I butchered the 1 I like so I can see the strikes, if they hit a darker colour they are hard to see.

http://www.mytargets.com/

David
    I shot at the attached target. I fired a fouling shot, then fired five shots following the aiming points from left to right. Then I went forward and marked up on the sheet the powder weight against each bullet hole. The photo is taken as I arrived at the target having shot 3 rounds of five and was about to mark up the fourth round of shots. Then I went back to the firing point and did the same again. When I was done, I plotted the relative elevation of each shot and picked a powder weight to try again. PM me if you would like some more info or a copy of the spreadsheet that I used.
    Good luck. JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 01-07-2012 at 18:53. Reason: more explanation

Sorry but I don't get what your achieved there JC . What distance was this shot at?

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Sorry but I don't get what your achieved there JC . What distance was this shot at?
    To me it's dot to dot 4-6-2 Flying Scotsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    It's a very long story. http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html was the reference material that I was working to. Once I got home, I produced the following graph. Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 01-07-2012 at 22:35.

Thank you. I had heard of this but never read about it so never tried it. With a particular rifle that is rather fussy I did try some OBT loadings. Ideally it needed a longer rnge than I had available to test it out.

Here is my favourite target - good for up to 400 yards. Prints best on work's printers......

Attachment 17100
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    David
    I shot at the attached target. I fired a fouling shot, then fired five shots following the aiming points from left to right. Then I went forward and marked up on the sheet the powder weight against each bullet hole. The photo is taken as I arrived at the target having shot 3 rounds of five and was about to mark up the fourth round of shots. Then I went back to the firing point and did the same again. When I was done, I plotted the relative elevation of each shot and picked a powder weight to try again. PM me if you would like some more info or a copy of the spreadsheet that I used.
    Good luck. JCS
    I can see the time advantage of multiple targets but the horizotal dispensation is being ignored? ie your test is assuming the barrel only vibrates up and down. Can you be confident that each load poi is being correctly plotted if you shoot 5 bullets with your targets so close together?
    I like the idea of shooting a series before you have too go and mark the impact but at 275 m. I would want 5 seperate target boards, even then it takes organisation and care too ensure you shoot right load at right target!!