Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what's a bloody "Cull Fee"...??!

So what's a bloody "Cull Fee"...??!

Yes I know what a cull fee is, I just don't understand the point? - I'm out there to shoot a deer not take a walk in the woods with another bloke (!) so why do I have to pay to pull the trigger?!

My first fallow this year was 100 for the stalk, then 50 to pull the trigger (the "cull" fee), then 50 to keep the meat (based on weight) - I felt like saying "The meat fee's fair, but what's with charging me 100 for a walk? I can walk for free anywhere?! The whole point of me going on a stalk is to shoot something so why do I have to pay 50 extra to shoot something?!"

I think the issue is a lot of stalkers are advertising abroad to wealthy foreign clients, and to Londoners who earn megabucks, but this is only going on my limited experience so interested to hear everyone's thoughts?

I'd sooner pay by the hour (20 or something with a min of 3 hours), and then buy the meat if I want it - is that a more sensible pricing layout?

I get that Decent Trophy's are another matter so not part of my point - I'm just talking about the more common animals...

*FURTHER TO THIS PLEASE SEE POST #64 - I'd actually misunderstood the apparent price increase that prompted me to start this post*
    Last edited by BunnyDoom; 05-07-2012 at 08:56.

SD Regular
    ....and add to that the bullet is costing you to shoot their animal for them!! Know exactly how you feel.

There are plenty around who will not charge any additional fee for cull animals - as you say, trophies are understood and accepted as a different thing. Just need to find them. Consider (when you've found someone you like stalking with) trying to do a deal for a number of stalks rather than a one at a time basis - you might get lucky.....
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I take it you knew the price and fee for stalking before you went.
    If so, Then it was your choice to go and shoot the fallow was it not.
    But I understand what your saying. But if the facts are clear and up front before you go.
    We all have a choice.

Andrew

Talk to Sikamalc , he'll do you right .

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    what's with charging me 100 for a walk? I can walk for free anywhere?!
    Leaving aside whether 100 is a reasonable outing fee (and here in general I'd agree with you, at least for Southern woodland stalking) there are several reasons why cull fees are separate.

First off, you are not paying 100 "for a walk", you are paying 100 for a walk on ground where the stalker holds the stalking rights and where, if conditions are right, you will legally be able to take a shot. If you just want to go for a walk, it's easy - leave your rifle behind and don't pay the stalker.

Second, if the outing fee was all inclusive, and you didn't see a deer - or if you did but didn't get to pull the trigger - how would you feel about an all-in charge then? People charge a cull fee because not every outing guarantees the opportunity to shoot a deer. The idea is that the stalking fee covers the outing and the cull fee covers the deer you shoot.

Third, if you don't like the fee structure proposed by the professional stalker, no-ones forcing you to accept it! Better that you see the structure beforehand and know what you're getting into than try to figure out afterwards how the bill ended up being what it is.

In general the model of outing fee+cull fee should work to everyone's satisfaction.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

No kill fee is to clarify that you do not pay anything once the beast is on the floor. As for paying to go for a walk, well yes you are right you can go for a walk for free on many places but not with a rifle.

As has been pointed out before you are paying for a mans time, fuel for the vehicle and most importantly of all the cost of the lease, all of which has to be covered. On a large estate you are probably looking at 4000 to 6000 a year for the lease, and thats just for a start!!

Add to this high seats to be built, larder facilites, running extraction equipment (truck,quad) 100 for 2 outings in a day is nothing, and at those costs it will be a while before you start making a living as a commercial stalker.

Good luck with your search.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Here we go again.
    If you knew the prices and agreed them why complain.
    There is nothing to stop you joining a syndicate and going on your own.
    If you are any good the meat will be cheaper.
    They are priced (everyone has there own way) because that works for them.
    If it didn't they would be out of bussiness.
    If they can get more from clients from over seas why is that their fault? They price according to the market they want to corner.
    Nice and cheap loads of clients work loads of hours and make some money (think i'm here)
    nice and dear less busy less hours, same money, (think i might be doing something wrong) and if lucky, more money and busy......happy days. we are in business to make money just like anyone else, we have bills and a right to make a little money now and again so we can have the odd holiday.
    In my experience when culling does which most will agree is cheap at most places, stalkers are only probably breaking even and need to shoot males to make any money at all.
    Just my experience and i am very busy all year round so am doing something right.
    I am not the cheapest or the most expensive, and am happy working all the time.
    When I get sick of working all the time i might up my prices and half my client base but make the same amount and have time for the wife.............................Hang on thats a bad idea.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 02-07-2012 at 18:00.

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    Here we go again.
    If you knew the prices and agreed them why complain.
    There is nothing to stop you joining a syndicate and going on your own.
    If you are any good the meat will be cheaper.
    They are priced (everyone has there own way) because that works for them.
    If it didn't they would be out of bussiness.
    If they can get more from clients from over seas why is that their fault? They price according to the market they want to corner.
    Nice and cheap loads of clients work loads of hours and make some money (think i'm here)
    nice and dear less busy less hours, same money, (think i might be doing something wrong) and if lucky, more money and busy......happy days. we are in business to make money just like anyone else, we have bills and a right to make a little money now and again so we can have the odd holiday.
    In my experience when culling does which most will agree is cheap at most places, stalkers are only probably breaking even and need to shoot males to make any money at all.
    Just my experience and i am very busy all year round so am doing something right.
    I am not the cheapest or the most expensive, and am happy working all the time.
    When I get sick of working all the time i might up my prices and half my client base but make the same amount and have time for the wife.............................Hang on thats a bad idea.
    +1 plus it's not a bad price considering the prices of pheasant shoots etc.

I agree that some outfits could change the wording so it doesn't look like stalkers are being penalised for taking the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Yes I know what a cull fee is, I just don't understand the point? - I'm out there to shoot a deer not take a walk in the woods with another bloke (!) so why do I have to pay to pull the trigger?!

My first fallow this year was 100 for the stalk (too expensive!), then 50 to pull the trigger (the "cull" fee), then 50 to keep the meat (based on weight) - I felt like saying "The meat fee's fair, but what's with charging me 100 for a walk? I can walk for free anywhere?! The whole point of me going on a stalk is to shoot something so why do I have to pay 50 extra to shoot something?!"

Needless to say I've had a look about and found some more reasonable stalkers charging amounts that average earners like me can afford - I think the issue is a lot of stalkers are advertising abroad to wealthy foreign clients, and to Londoners who earn megabucks, but this is only going on my limited experience so interested to hear everyone's thoughts?

I'd sooner pay by the hour (20 or something with a min of 3 hours), and then buy the meat if I want it - is that a more sensible pricing layout?

I get that Decent Trophy's are another matter so not part of my point - I'm just talking about the more common animals...
    well there is a very easy simple answer to this one , go find , rent or lease your own stalking then once that has pulled a almighty hole in the bank ballence , you will soon realise that 100 is not too bad after all and that i should not have moaned !

poaching is free......if its the money that bothers you.....

until you get caught..............