Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not so friendly Bees !

Not so friendly Bees !

I must remember to make sure that the zip on my Bee suit is down the next time I want a severe stinging ! I did it yesterday and having half a dozen of the little B***gers flying about inside my face veil concentrates the mind beautifully ! The result was pretty spectacular and for about an hour I have never been so totally itchy from the soles of my feet to the top of my head. Never mind the stings I'm lucky I didn't scratch myself to death !!

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Good job you dont suffer from Anaphylactic shock, one wasp sting almost killed me a few years ago, didnt even get any honey as payment!
    Cheers
    Richard

Take care John, that was quite a strong reaction you had there!
    - I finally gave up keeping bees when I got progressively stronger reactions the more I got stung.
    Getting about 30 stings in one session didn't help - I had to move a queenless colony that was hungry and had gone very agressive towards my neighbours. Almost the whole colony went for me & they stung me through my lightweight overall.
    I learned two lessons there - one was to check my queens more often and the other was to wear thick clothing even when it's very warm so that they can't get their stings through to my skin.

Ian

not a nice experience having bees in your veil,made the same mistake last year.
    Think i'll rememder too close the veil every time now!
    Are your bees doing well this year?

Regards marshsll

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Good job you dont suffer from Anaphylactic shock, one wasp sting almost killed me a few years ago, didnt even get any honey as payment!
    Cheers
    Richard

I've always fancied keeping bees. My grandad did it but not my dad. So, I've never really had a "way in". The thing is, I've always been put off a bit by being prone to reacting badly to wasp stings myself, though I've never been stung by a bee, that I know of.

Does Bee sting affect people differently to Wasp sting?

Does a bad reaction to one mean there'll likely be a bad reaction to the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    I've always fancied keeping bees. My grandad did it but not my dad. So, I've never really had a "way in". The thing is, I've always been put off a bit by being prone to reacting badly to wasp stings myself, though I've never been stung by a bee, that I know of.

Does Bee sting affect people differently to Wasp sting?

Does a bad reaction to one mean there'll likely be a bad reaction to the other?
    I can speak from experience here, i had a 3 year desensitisation treatment, it meant having an injection of venom once a month under strictly controlled conditions in case of a reaction.
    It was quite amusing, we had the 'wasp' club and the 'bee' club and we all became friends over the time of treatment.
    One bee keeper told me he had been stung for years to varying levels, then one day he reacted to a single sting.
    In my case i was stung when i was 5 years old, then 30 years later stung again by a wasp, i went down hill quickly!
    During this time i have been stung by bee's with no reaction, so there you go.
    I did use to have to carry around an epipen full of adrenalin but this isn't needed anymore.
    Cheers
    Richard

I have been stung many times with no particular reaction - - a bit nippy at the time but by the next day it's gone. Mosquitos are usually far worse. Yesterday they stung me in the throat and I couldn't get at them to brush them off. Hence the stings kept pumping even after I'ld killed the bee.
    It's the first time I've had a bad reaction.This colony is the wildest I've ever had but nonetheless I went back for more punishment today and managed to put half of them into another hive. Strangely these are Carniolan Bees reputed to be the gentlest, nobody's told them though and I'm home with another half a dozen stings - -mostly through the suit which isn't too bad. - - and no ill effects.

JR

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    not a nice experience having bees in your veil,made the same mistake last year.
    Think i'll rememder too close the veil every time now!
    Are your bees doing well this year?

Regards marshsll
    The Bees are doing not too bad considering this lousy cold, wet, weather. I'm really trying to build up numbers having lost a few hives over the last couple of winters so I'm splitting the busy hives at the moment.

JR

One of my colonies was particularly nasty - used to attack without any provocation, and always found a way in to the suit somehow. I even got stung on the soles of my feet!
    Always meant to re-queen them, but was too damn scared to go near them after a while. In the end they re-queened themselves, and now they're really docile.

Many years ago when I was beekeeping commercially I did some work in Venezuela with the US dept of Agriculture with the Africanised bee. Now there is an experience for a beekeeper! Many times we were covered from head to toe with the most aggressive/defensive creatures I've ever come across. We wore two suits, taped up the wrists and ankles and wore two sets of gloves. As the veil was black they attacked en-masse and the venon just ran down the mesh. While I was there dogs, a horse and a small child were killed by the bees. Some days they were very quiet but normally they were a nightmare. The idea was to cross them with Buckfast queens in an endeavour to quieten them down. We instrumentally inseminated a lot of queens. But it was a pointless excercise. But very interesting all the same. I did some work with Brother Adam at Buckfast with Carniolans. As I recall they came from Switzerland and the biggest problem with them was their desire to swarm constantly. However there was some carniolan blood in the Buckfast strain at one time. Normally they are very quiet if bred true.