Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ask Help Please??

Big Ask Help Please??

Hi All
    I have a big ask
    I have had my FAC a couple of months now but due to the condition put on both my calibers i need a mentor. The gents that i had planned to use are just too busy with work.
    I have got .22LR And .22 Hornet but have not even zeroed the rifles yet as unable to get out.
    So if anybody would be in the position to offer me some time to take me out and help set up my rifles and then provide me with a document if they are happy to enable me to get the conditions removed. I am free most the time apart from wednesday friday and saturday nights and am located close to Redditch Worcestershire
    I have had experience with .22LR and provided evidence with my application but still got this condition i have also been a S/G certificate holder for over 6 years and have full insurance through BASC
    If any one could possible help me out i am sure i could sort a case of beer.
    Many thanks

I'm sure you'll have no problems mate - 90% of members here are great people as far as my experience goes, and really like to help each other out..

Hi, Is there a local small bore rifle club that you could use for your rimfire ? At least then you could gain experience and set up one rifle.

As PKL said, you will find someone on here that will help ..... some really good guys on here.

Good luck.

If you fancy at least setting up your rifles and fancy a trip down to Monmouth on Sunday morning pm me. It's an indoor 100 yard centrefire rifle range.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Be happy to help mate but I'm based down in West Sussex if you can stomach the trip!

+1 to the idea of a trip to Monmouth.

To be frank, I think your mistake here was agreeing to the mentor conditions. 10.33 of the HO Guidance advises CCs to be cautious about conditions that effectively make your FAC difficult or impossible to use. You have reason, you have land authority, you've been considered suitable to possess and use the firearms ... you shouldn't therefore need a mentor. I expect you chose 22LR and 22Hornet because they do the job you have to do, and not because you "want a gun".

As a BASC member, give them a call and see what they can do for you with regard to removing the conditions.

Thanks for the offers gents I'll be in touch.
    I have been I touch with Basc and on the advise wrote to my licensing manager, so finger crossed now

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsniper View Post
    Hi All
    I have a big ask
    I have had my FAC a couple of months now but due to the condition put on both my calibers i need a mentor. The gents that i had planned to use are just too busy with work.
    I have got .22LR And .22 Hornet but have not even zeroed the rifles yet as unable to get out.
    So if anybody would be in the position to offer me some time to take me out and help set up my rifles and then provide me with a document if they are happy to enable me to get the conditions removed. I am free most the time apart from wednesday friday and saturday nights and am located close to Redditch Worcestershire
    I have had experience with .22LR and provided evidence with my application but still got this condition i have also been a S/G certificate holder for over 6 years and have full insurance through BASC
    If any one could possible help me out i am sure i could sort a case of beer.
    Many thanks
    Am I reading this right - you want someone to help you zero, then you want to ask for the mentoring condition to be removed after that?

That isn't how mentoring normally works. The mentor would have to accompany you actually shooting the quarry your rifle(s) are conditioned with for a period of time, then your mentor (NOT you) will write to your FEO advising that he is happy for you to go out on your own.

If the two mentors you mention are specified by name by your FEO/FLA then a substitute mentor will not suffice.

Also note that for most rifle ranges you will need to be a member to be able to shoot on them, and have a target condition on your certificate, even for zeroing.

"Also note that for most rifle ranges you will need to be a member to be able to shoot on them, and have a target condition on your certificate, even for zeroing."

Not necessarily so David, as many clubs are able to accept guests who hold a firearms certificate. He will however need to have a zeroing condition on his certificate, he will not be target shooting.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    "Also note that for most rifle ranges you will need to be a member to be able to shoot on them, and have a target condition on your certificate, even for zeroing."

Not necessarily so David, as many clubs are able to accept guests who hold a firearms certificate. He will however need to have a zeroing condition on his certificate, he will not be target shooting.
    True, and I was oversimplifying, but raising the point that it may not be that easy to get on a range - for example most of the ranges my club uses are MoD and you won't even get on them without being a full club member and having a Safety & Competence card.