Meet Piper

Peter Eaton

Finally bought the puppy I want to train for deer and went with the breed I know which would be small and a good companion for me. Meet Piper, she is a 10 week old bitch I bought from Scotland on Saturday. She has a superb nature, very loyal and loving and thankfully very quiet in the car, I drove from Scotland over two days and she just wgged her tail and snoozed. She has been crate trained and already knows to retire to her 'den' when play time is over and snoozes in there for hours. I took her to see a mate in Oxford yesterday who has labs he uses for deer and she had her first introduction to a Pigeon and deer which she loved.

I now need to get insurance for her so does anyone know any good deals or pitfalls that the insurers write into the policies in order I dont get stung.

Many thanks

Pete

Last edited:
Nice Border you have there.

Dog Insurance like all insurance is a murky world, and for a terrier I would just save £10/month that should cover any problems you have.
Once dogs get older, insurers tend to pay ever decreasing amounts on claims, well thats my experience any way.

I got him off a mate who had an under keeper who had a Border he brought back from Ireland 9 years or so back. he also had a tiny bitch which although was a pedigree was never registered, hence why I got the pup for £200 instead of the normal big princely sum, so what the lines are I am not sure, though I know the father was a working dog. I saw the parents and her siblings and all were crackers and by the way the dog is responding I am sure she well be a cracker too.

Last edited:
I agree with Bomag on saving £10 a week to cover vet bills, but I insure with the NFU.The only sensible one I could get for working gundogs,it appears to be a bit of a minefield.

Nice pup i had a border X bitch & she was great on deer , I now have labs & dont bother with insurance I put away £5.00 a week until there is £100.00 then its off to the post office for another £100.00 worth of premium bonds . so if you need cash for vet bills it is easy got & if you dont (touch wood) need it you may be lucky as i have & win a few £s

Take care of her around fox earths, Borders from Ireland still have that hunting spirit that many in the UK appear to have lost.

Hi Pete, can't believe how much your pup reminds me of mine when she was just a pup. She is pretty good on the deer. Hope you have much fun with yours, im sure you will.I wouldn't worry too much about the food thing, mine did the same but grew out of it, she loves dinner time now!

JB pup.jpg

Hi Pete, can't believe how much your pup reminds me of mine when she was just a pup. She is pretty good on the deer. Hope you have much fun with yours, im sure you will.I wouldn't worry too much about the food thing, mine did the same but grew out of it, she loves dinner time now!

View attachment 17181

Nice dog mate............. mines just snoozing in her dog crate after her breakfast, left a bit as usual but I wont stress this time ;)

ATB

Pete

Back