Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which calibre for medium range rabbits and Charlie?

Which calibre for medium range rabbits and Charlie?

All,

I have been looking at the Sako Quad for rabbiting and charlie. I currently have a .22lr semi auto which is good fun but not really up to the job of serious rabbit control. With the various calibres available for the quad, which one do you guys think i should get for it...or will one do the job for both?

I'm only really looking to shoot rabbits out to 100-150yds max and charlie around the same. My FAC will need a variation so any opinions or experience with the available calibres, cost of ammo etc before I submit it would be greatfully appreciated.

Atb

Dave

I have a Sako Quad in 17HMR and 22LR, and have taken fox and rabbits. I have the heavy-barrel varmint with walnut stock and its a well balanced, beautifully made and accurate rifle. FLOs are usually pretty easy on variations for switch barrels.
    If you do a search on 17HMR on SD, there are some who would advise against it and prefer the .22WMR which is also available on the Quad.

I have all four of the quad barrels

I prefer the .17M2 for rabbits up to 150 ish
    have shot foxes inside 75yds with it, but past that I would prefer a bit more thump. WMR is cheaper to feed than the HMR and doesnt appear to have the ammo issues.

.22LR up to 100 yards, then .22 Hornet, 222 or 223 above that. - Just be sure to head shoot the bunnies tho'!

Ian

I don't rate a .22 for charlie as chest shots are a no-no... I've shot plenty with my .22 though (head shot) - all fine out to about 75yds.

Personally as a close to medium range foxer, and short to long range bunny gun, I don't think you can beat a .17HMR! - Louder and more expensive than the .22, but chest shots out to 50yds are fine (not that you need shoot them anywhere but the head at that range - your call though!).

Quad's not a bad idea - I don't like them as guns though, prefer the CZ452 (I have 2 - 17HMR and .22lr)!

Where are you going to be shooting? If noise is an issue, or if the quarry is skittish from previous shooters, then a .22lr all the way... otherwise you'll find a .17HMR much easier, and you'll get more range!

Ignore the inevitable comments about meat damage - no reason not to shoot them in the head with any calibre, and I never eat head (oooer!) so not bothered!

Given the quality of HMR ammo these days, I'd use the 22WMR. I killed coyotes up to 80 yards and kept myself clothed and fed one entire, bitter cold South Dakota winter with the lowly 40 grain CCI at 1910 fps. Now we have 30 grain bullets at 2300 fps. It will do the job.

If you reload, the Hornet is the next step. Excellent!~Muir

Have the Sako ( heavy barrel ) quad in LR & WMR - LR is a superb rabbit calibre to 100 yds and the WMR is the perfect short range fox rifle

My sako is virtually new to me but has proved its worth already, have a schmidt and bender scope on it and it is a faultless piece of kit

I have mine scoped in for 75 yds for the LR and 100 yds on the WMR
    the only one thing with the WMR - head shoot rabbits if you want to keep em. the round will knock em around a bit, Round wise - My rifle likes the LR CCI segmented and for the WMR Hornady 30 grn loads BT

good all round rifle

ATB

Phil
    Last edited by philip; 04-07-2012 at 06:07.

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Round wise - My rifle likes the LR CCI segmented
    Really?
    I have the same rifle and chambering them was a two handed affair at times they are so tight.
    they were average at best when it came to accuracy and the segmented bullets often produced multiple ricochets/fragments spinning off into the darkness having passed through a rabbit head.

I gave 300 away in return for a box of winchester

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Really?
    I have the same rifle and chambering them was a two handed affair at times they are so tight.
    they were average at best when it came to accuracy and the segmented bullets often produced multiple ricochets/fragments spinning off into the darkness having passed through a rabbit head.

I gave 300 away in return for a box of winchester
    Not a fan of segmented either, though I will say that though you do get 3 richochets they are 3 13gn irregularly shaped projectiles (for a .40gn 22lr slug anyway)) that lose energy very quickly as a result - like an air rifle richochet... so as long as you're not too close relatively harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    I don't rate a .22 for charlie as chest shots are a no-no... I've shot plenty with my .22 though (head shot) - all fine out to about 75yds.

Personally as a close to medium range foxer, and short to long range bunny gun, I don't think you can beat a .17HMR! - Louder and more expensive than the .22, but chest shots out to 50yds are fine (not that you need shoot them anywhere but the head at that range - your call though!).

Quad's not a bad idea - I don't like them as guns though, prefer the CZ452 (I have 2 - 17HMR and .22lr)!

Where are you going to be shooting? If noise is an issue, or if the quarry is skittish from previous shooters, then a .22lr all the way... otherwise you'll find a .17HMR much easier, and you'll get more range!

Ignore the inevitable comments about meat damage - no reason not to shoot them in the head with any calibre, and I never eat head (oooer!) so not bothered!
    Thanks for the reply BunnyDoom,

Noise is a factor with there being a couple of farm houses round about. The rabbits are a bit on the nervous side too which i why i would like a bit more range.

What is it about the CZ that you prefer over the quad, just curious because there are alot of CZ's out there?

Cheers,

Dave