Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mannlicher SM 12

Well I'm a fan, but does this mean that the existing SM Classics will be going at knockdown prices? Or alternately, that if they don't have the one that I want in stock, they're never going to make it?

I'm not sure what the real benefit of manual cocking is though.

Any indications on price?

Quote Originally Posted by andibrains View Post
    Any indications on price?
    German say 2,500 euro

Doh! it would appear that modern shooters either cannot cope or cannot be trusted with a rifle that cocks the action on operation of the bolt . Just another GOOD reason to add to my list of why never to buy a new rifle and it's getting to be why I would not consider a modern production rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I'm not sure what the real benefit of manual cocking is though.
    Neither can I on a bolt gun. I'm with BH on this one, other than another level of 'safety' what's the point - EU madness maybe?

I have the manual cocking system on two break action firearms - a Blaser .243/12b “Bockbüchsflinte” and a Heym 7x57 Kipplauf - and it's a great system for those types of rifle, but on a bolt action - why?

In Germany/Austria it is illegal to start the hunt with round chambered and the rifle cocked. In fact is it illegal to stalk with your rifle like that (I believe).

That is why guns produced from there have a manual cocking system.

Simples.

Ye gods and if if Merckel and Co get their way will too will be under the jack boot more so than we are already.

Velkom to da state Kommrade!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ye gods and if if Merckel and Co get their way will too will be under the jack boot more so than we are already.

Velkom to da state Kommrade!
    Well I don't know. I mean all you have to do is not buy an SM12. If you're not in Germany or Austria, you're free to keep on cocking or not, manually or otherwise, as you prefer...

Surely it's easy to see what I mean what with Germany running the EU which no one ever asked us about. Common Market yes they did ask but EU ..................... Nope. Merckel has more influence than Hitler ever dreamed of. hence it will not be long before the over paid over stuffed unelected Eurocrats decide that it's a good idea and those lilly livered bunch in Westminster will rubber stamp it as always.

Let's face it we knew it was going this way with the re-unification at that point Germany should have been booted and had to re-apply as it was now a different country.

Then there is the joke or the Human rights court and laws. Britian's new judge is a EU lackey who has never been a judge.

The whole thing is a total farce.