Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Tried Spit Roasting Venison?

Anyone Tried Spit Roasting Venison?

Has anyone successfully tried spit roasting venison?

If so please can you share with me the technique (I don't mean turning the handle but more, fat added, basting, timings ect)....

We have access to all the equipment, tips and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I tried it very unsucessfully many years ago, looking back, it was a disaster, I attemped to cook a fresh fallow pricket over a roaring fire, If a good vet had been available to treat the burns on the outside he could have probably got it back on its feet again! I was about 21 and was catering for a RFS visit to the estate that I was working on, surprised that I wasn't sacked!!

Best advice I can give is cook the bugger in an oven first and just use the spit for effect and keeping it warm.

Goes without saying that you need embers not a blazing inferno and probably best to do a couple of small deer rather than one big one.

Glyn.

boss did a large lamb at the week end on a hugh fearnley rig .have a look online river cottage may help .gotta admit the lamb was fantastic took 4 hrs for a 50lb animal .a meat temp probe helped alot to aid cooking through well
    good luck
    norma

I have access to professional pig spit roasting equipment but having spoken to the owner he said venison tends to dry out really fast on it!

Wondering what fat to use and how to apply it, or methods that allow a steady cook!

Will use a probe!

Had a few spit roasts in my time, but never found the need to lower myself to spit roasting a deer!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

at least with venison like lamb you dont have to incinerate it a little rare wont hurt .what about injecting an olive oil into the carcase just a thought !

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    Had a few spit roasts in my time, but never found the need to lower myself to spit roasting a deer!
    I wondered how long it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    at least with venison like lamb you dont have to incinerate it a little rare wont hurt .what about injecting an olive oil into the carcase just a thought !
    That could work!! Anyone tried this?

I don't no if it would work but what about wrapping it in bacon either tying it on or wrapping it in foil then take the foil off for the last ten mins.

lots of fat. wrap it in omentum or caul fat sheet and baste like a man possessed
    very lean meat does not spit roast well