Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: needle nose

needle nose

its well in to season of the little flying needle nose insects and they seem to love me, i'm must be like a walking dinner bell.
    i've tried most things to keep them at bay such as jungle formula, tuborg(out of bushwear) and various other things.
    was wondering if anybody has any ideas on what to use to keep the little critters away.

Quote Originally Posted by DANDAN View Post
    its well in to season of the little flying needle nose insects and they seem to love me, i'm must be like a walking dinner bell.
    i've tried most things to keep them at bay such as jungle formula, tuborg(out of bushwear) and various other things.
    was wondering if anybody has any ideas on what to use to keep the little critters away.
    its nice to know they like to eat somebody else i have just come back from a 3day stalking trip and have around 40 bites i have tried avon skin so soft rapid deet 55 .i also wear a full body type net and the little bugers still manage to get me

yeah i must taste good too,i take loratadine which i get from the doc,i takes the irratation away,it doesnt stop them biting,the midges cause that,something else bites me that i get a huge swellings,i use autan when i remember to put it on,it certainly helps.

cheers for the advise on the avon cream. try not to itch to much,lol
    dan.

Was out this evening in South Lanarkshire (cos it stopped raining for 10 minutes!) Before going out I applied Smidge to face, beard, ears neck and scalp, and in the process got it all over my hands as well.
    I was wearing a full face net and gloves. Midges were out in force, but not really a problem until this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-03 20.25.35.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	517.0 KB 
ID:	17159
    So of course, off with hat, face-net, gloves and jacket and roll-up sleeves to perform gralloch.
    Well the word got round and the sky darkened as every midge from Ayr to Edinburgh arrived.
    My face and arms were black with them; wiping them away by the handful. Flies too appeared from nowhere and all over the gralloch.

Now here's the interesting bit - when I got home, hung up the buck, cleaned the rifle and jumped in the shower to wash of the layer of squashed midges.
    Where the Smidge had been applied - not a mark!
    but my untreated forearms, from wrist to up to an inch above the elbow, are a mass of tiny red bite marks.

In my experience nothing apart from nets will actually stop them landing on you - which is itself pretty dreadful, but Smidge does stop them biting, without dissolving my spectacles and fly fishing lines.

The Thermacell (https://vault1.secured-url.com/cmsSe...?CategoryID=11 )device does work a treat for static/high-seat work specially when there isn't much wind, but I've never tried strapping it to my arm!
    I think I'll try take it with me stalking though, and fire it up when I next have a gralloch in midge territory.

Alasdair

Smidge is great . Or life venture stuff

I watched a vid on youtube a while back and people were using the Listerine Mouthwash as bug spray, I've never tried it so can't comment personally but it might be worth a go!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

smidge is the one that we sell at my work and it flys of the shelf, stops them biting me 100% but the still crawl over me which is almost as annoying!!!

Smidge seems to be the one to go for having read a number of these threads recently.

I get bitten to bits, dont mind the buzzing. I do mind the welts and the red spots! mine get worse over the 48 hours after being bitten!