.400/.350 Rigby

HOWDAH

Hi All

Just a quick post , i have at last in my hands the rifle it has taken me 2 years to get hold of, a 400/350, i am going to hopefully use it on the biggest woodland stag i can find this season :D

Its a 101 year old work of art and it would be criminal to keep it locked away.

Anyone else have any old calibers ? Would love to hear !

Wow! Congratulations. Bringing it up on that stag will be a very special moment and one to treasure for years to come. I wish you every success.

With regard to other old calibres, I've often wondered how a .45-70 would fare, especially in woodland. A rather different kettle of fish, I appreciate, but one that has often had me surfing to the Marlin web site for a ponder.

All the best

Iwrch

45/70

The 45/70 is an excellent round, with the 300 grain jacketed holow point it will be an ideal short range woodland rifle.

Even better if used with open sights !

your 400/350 sounds like a lot of fun as well as a deer round it is also great for wild boar as it is similar to the 9.3x74.
What make is it?
The large bore rifles are a lot more fun to shoot in my opinion :lol:
I do most of my woodland shooting with a .444 Marlin useing 265gr interlocks and 47grs of re-loader 7 and a 1.5-5 Simmons scope out to 150 yards .It is also a great fox basher and useing down loads i can use it on the clubs indoor 25meter range.

Bob

400/350

The 400/350 is a Rigby, made in 1907, it has already been used on boar to great effect.

I also shoot other large caliber rifles, 450 no 2 , 500NE, .577, 8 Bore Rifle.

Currently also have a couple of double rifles in restoration , one of them is a 6 Bore.

Anyone interested in these old boys should get down to the Express Rifles Association who meet at Minsterly Ranges

That sounds like a very nice collection - are you going to write an article for the Double Gun Journal one day?

May do something like that one day, some of the guns have already been written about, especially the rigby.

There is an article going out i think in the BASC mag that may have a picture of yours truly with his 8 bore smoke generator going off !

neilgavin said:
Hi All

Just a quick post , i have at last in my hands the rifle it has taken me 2 years to get hold of, a 400/350, i am going to hopefully use it on the biggest woodland stag i can find this season :D

Also known as the No 2 we have the big brother 350 double rifle by J Rigby & Co
What is the serial number of your rifle might be able to tell you who previously owned the rifle
Margarita

Margarita, off topic at the moment are you the one and same Margarita from West Sussex I assume you are as you have mentioned the rigby connection.

If you are hello and welcome to the site, you may remember me from sometime back when you helped import some firearms for me and also see through some American clients I had.

Neil congratulations on your purchase. We have a 400 WJ Jeffreys in the museum collection which Major Powell Cotton used. If you want to come over and look see let me know.

Interesting for people who know a little about big game and its history, my rifle was once the property of Edward North Buxton and has his name on the case. He purchased it from Chiselhurst-Hume who then went off to do his duty in the first world war and like so many others did not come back, E N Buxton owned the rifle until his death in 1924, it did not leave the family until 2001 when it was purchased by a friend of mine.

It is quite possible that this rifle has been out with Buxton and Theodore Roosevelt on safari as they shot toghter , it was Buxton who organised giving Roosevelt his famous "big Stick"

8 Bore Rifle

Just found out how to post pictues, so for the big game guys out there here is one of me with an 146 Year old 8 bore muzzle loading rifle.

875 grain patched ball and 170 grains of Swiss no 3 black powder.
Minsterley28-3-09011.jpg

8 bore

Ouch,

I have owned a Westley Richards 8 bore front stuffer shotgun for the last 8 years but have yet to wring out the shooting performance of it.

Regards

Bavarianbrit

Back