Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .222 bullets and powders

.222 bullets and powders

what bullets and powders you guys using in your .222. Any loading data you care to share would be great.
    Cheers
    "Seek the wisdom of ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child"
    http://www.totally22.co.uk

It's several years since I owned a .222. I did quite a lot of experimenting at the time and chronographed the loads. The rifle was a Sako Vixen, which did not perform well with 55 grain bullets and excess pressure signs soon appeared. The best load for that particular rifle was Sierra 50 grain soft point and Viht N133. That load would have been adequate to comply with the requirements for shooting Muntjac/CWD in England and Wales and Roe in Scotland.

It's for a CZ527 American

Well until you try some 55 grain bullets through it you will not know if it likes them or not. So I suggest you purchase a couple of boxes of factory ammunition with 55 grain bullets and try them through the rifle and see how it does. A couple of different makes would also be a good idea. The Sako 55 grain load with the Roes head on the box seem to shoot quite well in lots of rifles.

Now my one .222 Rem is an old BSA Regent and it shoots the 55 grain bullets quite happily. This is afairly tyoical 5 shot group:-

I was using H4198 powder. Now looking at my notes I see that I was still working up this laod for this rifle and had reached:-

19.0 grain H4198 with CCI 400 primer in Lapua case and Hornady 55 Grain SP or Nosler V-Max bullet. COL Hornady = 2.100" Nosler ballistic Tip = 2.200" and V-Max =2.230".

This load is quite a ways below the book maximum and I had just started to load some Hornady 55 grain FMJ's over 20.0 grains of IMR 4198. For some reason I did not note on the target which load was used but this rifle tends to produce groups like this quite easily and I feel with a bit of development and my doing better one hole groups should be possible with 55 grain bullets.

Work up and stay safe. Although the loads are safe and below max you barrel may be tighter and show pressure signs earlier so follw normal good hand loading practice and work up.

This is the load I am using currently for a .222 CZ527 American.
    Target at 100yds and as I am now 79 there is a good chance that the load and rifle could do better.
    The 5 shot cluster above bull centre line is where I finished off after twiddling the knobs.
    The arrow marked shot was the impact point when zeroed for the Speer 52gr HP.
    HWH.

PS. My rifle does not like 55gr bullets even though I tried various combinations.

Last edited by stag1933; 04-07-2012 at 10:16. Reason: PS added.

I have two boxes of factory ammo to try hornady vmax and sako the sako box has a coyote on box so not sure what weight they are.

My .222 like PPU but before that I was using a 50gn bullet, both soft and hollow nosed, pushed by 21gns of H4198

Quote Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
    I have two boxes of factory ammo to try hornady vmax and sako the sako box has a coyote on box so not sure what weight they are.
    The weight will be on the end flap and if I remember correctly in the bottom right corner of the front of the box. The Coyote means they are meant for varmints the Roe deer tells us the bullet loaded is suitable for Roe Deer.

yep just went out and found an old empty box the bullet weight is under the Coyote picture. The Roe Deer ones say Gamehead 55 grains.

I use Viht N130. The loads below are used in my Tikka M55, a friends HW ( think its a 66 ) and another friends CZ 527

22.1gn for 40gn V-max
    21.3gn for 50gn V-max/Blitzkings
    20.6gn for 55gn Hornady SPWC

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Well until you try some 55 grain bullets through it you will not know if it likes them or not. So I suggest you purchase a couple of boxes of factory ammunition with 55 grain bullets and try them through the rifle and see how it does. A couple of different makes would also be a good idea. The Sako 55 grain load with the Roes head on the box seem to shoot quite well in lots of rifles.

Now my one .222 Rem is an old BSA Regent and it shoots the 55 grain bullets quite happily. This is afairly tyoical 5 shot group:-

I was using H4198 powder. Now looking at my notes I see that I was still working up this laod for this rifle and had reached:-

19.0 grain H4198 with CCI 400 primer in Lapua case and Hornady 55 Grain SP or Nosler V-Max bullet. COL Hornady = 2.100" Nosler ballistic Tip = 2.200" and V-Max =2.230".

This load is quite a ways below the book maximum and I had just started to load some Hornady 55 grain FMJ's over 20.0 grains of IMR 4198. For some reason I did not note on the target which load was used but this rifle tends to produce groups like this quite easily and I feel with a bit of development and my doing better one hole groups should be possible with 55 grain bullets.

Work up and stay safe. Although the loads are safe and below max you barrel may be tighter and show pressure signs earlier so follw normal good hand loading practice and work up.
    Current max for H4198 is 19.5 grains using a 55 grain bullet so you weren't too far under max. I have been shooting .222 for a long time and never got that warm with it. Using a 52 grain match bullet, 19 grain was my absolute max in most rifles. Of course, all rifles are different but I just wanted to clarify on the latest data.~Muir

PS: 4198 in either variety (H or IMR) is my #1 choice for .222 with 3031 and 4895 right behind them.