Thread: night vision monocular

night vision monocular

hello, im going to bite the bullet and buy one for spotting then shoot with a dim red lamp, iv trawled through various sites and ebay and found lots but dont want to commit until i know about more from people who use them etc, i will probably spend about 300 ish on it, i would also consider a decent scope add on if i could get one in my price range, please could i have any advise from other NV users and recommendations?

thanks
    Tom

SD Regular
    For this money, you'll only be looking at Gen1+ kit - which will be fine with a decent illuminator up to 130-150 yards or so. IMO at this level they are all much of a muchness - at the end of the day, they are using the same technology. You may as well go for a scope add on - the Cobra Merlin has been very good for me - both on and off the rifle. Make sure what you buy is capable of being used on a C/F rifle. Just remember that you will need a good illumination source, be that an IR filter on a Lightforce or an IR laser designator.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

thats a lot IMO

I use the Aldi special Bresser 5x50 digital monocular, cost me 90 new. they come up for less.
    It is really just used for spotting then I move in or turn on the lamp.

Good for 250-300yds in moonlight or up to 200yds with built in illuminator.

eye shine gives the position away and rabbits and foxes show up as much darker black against any vegetation.
    I can spot rabbits much further away than I can shoot them

As this is really a deer stalking forum are you planning on shooting deer after sunset with a special permit and using this NV equipment?
    Just checking as I have done mega research on this theme for boar in Europe.
    Martin

I have a pulsar 550 digital monocular,with dipol ir.
    Works well.

thanks for all the advise. is cobra one of the better makes, the NV will be used for lamping foxes only

thanks
    Tom

Hi buddy i use a yukon digital ranger 5x 42 for spotting which i picked up for about 200 and is excellent i use a cobra merlin gen 1 for close up work say up to 50 yrds a cobra merlin gen 2 out to about 150 both are addon units and work well with an n1000ap laser ,i,d take the trouble to try and look through some before you buy ,add on have the advantage of being able to zero your dayscope in daylight ,i tried the pulsar challenger add on and though the picture gen 1 +is slightly better i found the controls fiddly ,once you go down the nv route you won't use your lamp hope this helps

Don't forget to get the best from an add on you will nned a parallax adjustable scope,cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by ade wills View Post
    Hi buddy i use a yukon digital ranger 5x 42 for spotting which i picked up for about 200 and is excellent i use a cobra merlin gen 1 for close up work say up to 50 yrds a cobra merlin gen 2 out to about 150 both are addon units and work well with an n1000ap laser ,i,d take the trouble to try and look through some before you buy ,add on have the advantage of being able to zero your dayscope in daylight ,i tried the pulsar challenger add on and though the picture gen 1 +is slightly better i found the controls fiddly ,once you go down the nv route you won't use your lamp hope this helps

Side parallax ideally