Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .408 Cheytac

.408 Cheytac

Has anyone ever had one of the above just been playing with one at work i think there absolutely amazing.I think the only problem will be getting it granted on my firearms license.Any info would be really appreciated.Many Thanks Andy
    Last edited by Pirate hunter; 04-07-2012 at 13:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate hunter View Post
    Has anyone ever had one of the above just been playing with one at work i think there absolutely amazing.I think the only problem will be getting it granted on my firearms license.Any info would be really appreciated.Many Thanks Andy

I think you might be a bit overgunned for those muntys bud, sounds just the job for them long john silver's though,

As long as you have somewhere to shoot it there is no reason why you wouldn't get it. One of the members of my GC has a .50 cal and another 338LM...

You won't get a deer condition on it but you shouldn't get a refusal for target shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    As long as you have somewhere to shoot it .......
    There lies the problem. Interesting cartridge

I had a 375 Cheytac,the first in the country. No problem with target condition, but if you are planning on using the ultra high BC solids then forget it, no where will allow you to use them. Just stick to 338 and be happy

Ive shot 408 CT quite alot, the rifle was a modified RPA Rangemaster -was originally a 338LM and the bolt was opened up.

Very effective round although unpleasant without brake or moderator, similar to shooting a 50 cal.

The brass was prone at the time (3-4 yrs ago) to splitting case necks - I understand that Jameson (the brass makers) has a poor lot, which the owner must have been unfortunate to have some of.

Like 338 LM, there really isnt much point having one unless your going beyond 1000 yds, the calibre come into its own at 1500, beyond the effective range (of mortals) with a 338LM.

Solids arent an issue if you have access to FFR (Field Firing Ranges), if you were to join the FCSA UK, you can fill your boots.

Ive a CT bolt faced Barnard P, which has been waiting on a build for the last two years, I suspect the owner may have gone off the idea as its a spendy calibre to feed.

Great fun, if youve the land and space to play, not good for bank balances.

Thanks for the replys everybody my next question is how much should I expect to pay for one? And who could import it into the country for me?

ATB Andy

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate hunter View Post
    Thanks for the replies everybody my next question is how much should I expect to pay for one? And who could import it into the country for me?

ATB Andy
    speak to TWG1 on this very forum, i am sure this rather nice chap will be able to help you out, he has sorted me out a few times with some rather nice rifles in the past when i was a tad flush.

best of luck

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Any RFD should be able to arrange an import into the UK - however, wether they would want to go through the hassle of doing it for one weapon would be the catch.

Expect to pay $400 for an DSP-99 (Export Licence) then there is shipping,

That will add to the initial cost considerably.

If youre looking at a specific factory rifle (such as an original CT or Windrider style system) then expect to pay $11000

DTA make a 408, you could speak to Ewan who is the UK importer (if that style appeals)

If it were me, i'd be looking at a custom build single shot in an XLR chassis system.......now that would be something.

Stiller make a specific action for the chey tac, in both single shot and repeater, I supplied Danpd his.

There were on the shelf last time i asked, but that was a few months back.