Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: nearest reds to paington

  1. #1

    nearest reds to paington

    just wondered if anyone from devon knew the nearest place paington where i could see a red, im down there next week and ive never seen a wild red and just wondered if antone knew a local-ish spot where i might be able to see one or at least have a chance of seeing one, i take it it will be some where on dartmoor but dartmoors a big place so a little heads up might help me cheers. and if anyone is wondering no im not looking to scope out anyones ground

  2. #2
    North Devon link road A361 between Tiverton and Rackenford, not exactly close to Paignton but a good chance of seeing one in the fields adjacent.
    Cheers
    Richard

  3. #3
    Just the one Richard!! came along there last week there must of been at least 80 in that one field
    Theyre normally there though

    Brian

  4. #4
    Some reds in the Upper Teign Valley north of Mortonhampstead between Dunsford and Fingle Bridge - it's a great area to walk and pub lunch as well. If you're considering traveling as far up as the A361/Tiverton, then I'd suggest keeping going up the Exe valley and scoping out the Holnicote Estate on Exmoor. Plenty of reds usually out on the moorland to the north of Dunkery Beacon at all times during the day.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Some reds in the Upper Teign Valley north of Mortonhampstead between Dunsford and Fingle Bridge - it's a great area to walk and pub lunch as well. If you're considering traveling as far up as the A361/Tiverton, then I'd suggest keeping going up the Exe valley and scoping out the Holnicote Estate on Exmoor. Plenty of reds usually out on the moorland to the north of Dunkery Beacon at all times during the day.
    +1 for Dunery Beacon,almost guaranteed,have often seen 50+(minimum)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    North Devon link road A361 between Tiverton and Rackenford, not exactly close to Paignton but a good chance of seeing one in the fields adjacent.
    Could even have a crack at the 'Son of the Emperor' while you're there!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Could even have a crack at the 'Son of the Emperor' while you're there!

    NO NO,dont go there!!!!!.....I heard its only grandsons left!!!!!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Some reds in the Upper Teign Valley north of Mortonhampstead between Dunsford and Fingle Bridge - it's a great area to walk and pub lunch as well.
    Really? I am in the that valley most days and in over 20 years i have never seen a red deer there.
    The closest i have ever seen a red to the Teign valley was at North Bovey a couple of years ago.
    There are some in Fernworthy forest.
    Cheers
    Richard

  9. #9
    Was staying down there a few months ago and saw red hinds on three separate occasions while driving up through the valley towards Mortonhampstead from Clifford Bridge in the evenings. Must admit it's not an area I'm familiar with so maybe they were just 'in transit' from Fernworthy - it's not far away is it?

  10. #10
    +1 on a361 close to rackenford, or push on and go onto exmoor through molland theres nearly always some on molland common or onto simonsbath where there is plenty then dunkery beacon, cream tea in Porlock. lovely day.

Similar Threads

  1. First Reds
    By shbangsteve in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-06-2012, 11:53
  2. Calling Reds
    By SA shooter in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 13-05-2012, 20:35
  3. Reds.
    By stag1933 in forum Photos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-12-2011, 15:33
  4. dsc1 nearest to carlisle
    By webby954 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-05-2011, 09:25
  5. This weekend for Reds
    By PKL in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 11:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •